Combining Tanks

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have Two tanks 55 is

55 acrylic - 2 Bags of Caribbean sand mixed/stirred weekly. | Fluval4 | Tank is about 6 months. Started with Tim's and cycled with ammonia. + 50 LBS live rock

65 acrylic- 2 Bags of Caribbean sand mixed/stirred weekly. | All glasss.com SUMP model 1 (i know its old but it works) | 200LBS live rock unknown age. | aquamax fc60 skimmer | refugium |enough bio media stones called matrix for a 400 gal tank.. | 2 old live rocks in sump with chateo | Full apex with ATO

2 Clowns
1 blue hippo tang 1.5"
1 emperor angel 2"
1 Royal Gramma
1 blue damsel
1 thorn crown cow fish
4 Turbo snails
3 Nazario snails
5 asteria snails
1 cleaner shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp
Sea anemone
Multi colored Urchin

I have RODI and have setup a trash can rigged to RO output. 40 Gal of TDS 0 water :) I have to thank someone on here a few days ago to opening my eyes to a tds meter

I have been eyeing this 220 at my LFS and it went on sale.. I want to go grab it today and combine my two tanks into one...

What is my best way to put both aquariums into one with the least amount of stress.. and where both tanks are is where I want my new tank:-(
I was almost planning on making the current 55 gallon the new 220's sump......

Sorry I am still very new to this and this kind of move even though its not a move scares me.. i love my fish and so far haven't experienced any loss.

Thanks all

I am still learning this apex and how its so not accurate at times..

Screenshot_20220525-090234_APEX Fusion.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded to my 200-gallon system, I got the new tank all setup, wired, configured, etc. Added new sand, dry rock, saltwater and ran it with filter socks and just the pump until it reached the right temperature and cleared up. I waited until the evening and migrated my lights to the new tank.

Then I added an applicable amount of Bio-Spira to the big tank, moved across all my existing rock, corals, fish and inverts (picking off hitchikers as I went). This effectively insta-cycled the tank and I didn't lose any livestock or corals.

OP
OP
Mperry622

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah between the 65 and the 55 and 65 sump I should have plenty of water to establish this tank. I have roughly 280 lb of live rock that is very old.. I didn't start with dry Rock. But I did boost with Tim's microbiology

I think I'm going to add new sand but just pump both tanks into this tank and then introduce the fish..I won't move sand or disturb it

I also don't think it'll be an issue even if I do move the sand because I violently stir it twice a week.. I have a fluval 307 that I put on with carbon during this.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did I read right that the 220 footprint will be where current tanks are?
I have used plastic rubbermaid horse troughs as temp tanks for over a month - allow you to step stuff over and hold steady till the 220 is up
but sounds like you will have the maturity to lick the new tank off

I think there is a Reef Builders video out there with a similar challenge - solution

OP
OP
Mperry622

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you brother I've been sitting here scratching my head going what the heck how do I even start I have to move everything before I can set up anything....

OP
OP
Mperry622

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have three garbage cans downstairs hooked up to my rodi system... I was going to start moving the rocks in there after it all got up to temperature and correct salinity and then start simmering it... I plan to keep as much water as I can because I have literally 160 established gallons...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back