Combining wrassess

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I've decided to take the plunge & get some colorful wrasses into my 200 gal reef tank. I've read that it is best just to get singles of several different wrasses species, & I want to make sure the ones I combine have a good chance of getting along. I'm looking at getting blue headed & ruby headed fairy wrasses & a McCosker's flasher. What do you think of compatability? I have a yellow & a purple tang, a onespot rabbitfish, a single clown (she kills her friends), 2 blue green chromis, skunk cleaner shrimp, a watchman goby, & a firefish. I want to add a couple of Bangaii, a midas or black sailfin blenny, some zebra-barred dartfish, a coral beauty, & possibly an orchid dottyback. I've got an idea of the order I should add things in (they've got to go through QT in small batches so this will be a multi-month project) but I'm interested in other opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Cynthia

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If by blue head you mean C. cyanopleura I would not put it with a Ruby Head (C. cf. cyanopleura) as they are very closely related. Choose one or the other and a different fairy to go with it. This thread has a chart that can greatly help decide compatibility issues with Cirrhilabrus species.

In your size tank you could have a number of fairy and flasher wrasses. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask any other questions as you go along towards stocking.

OP
OP
csreed

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If by blue head you mean C. cyanopleura I would not put it with a Ruby Head (C. cf. cyanopleura) as they are very closely related. Choose one or the other and a different fairy to go with it. This thread has a chart that can greatly help decide compatibility issues with Cirrhilabrus species.

In your size tank you could have a number of fairy and flasher wrasses. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask any other questions as you go along towards stocking.

Thank you!!!

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your size tank the combinations are practically endless! If you have a sand bed for sleeping you could consider the Heliocheres species as well. They are interesting to watch and have the advantage of eating some pests.

OP
OP
csreed

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I do have a good sand bed for them. I'm interested in peaceful wrasses in general - I like dartfish & inverts, so I want fish that generally play well with others. What sorts of combinations of wrasse species would you recommend? Also, my LFS says the fairy wrasses are hard to keep & often die after shipment - is this just their experience, or a known issue with fairy wrasses? I don't want to order fish that I am going to doom to die from the stress of transport & QT...

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I do have a good sand bed for them. I'm interested in peaceful wrasses in general - I like dartfish & inverts, so I want fish that generally play well with others. What sorts of combinations of wrasse species would you recommend? Also, my LFS says the fairy wrasses are hard to keep & often die after shipment - is this just their experience, or a known issue with fairy wrasses? I don't want to order fish that I am going to doom to die from the stress of transport & QT...
My experience is that fairy wrasses are hardy fish, just great jumpers... so a good jump guard is essential... I love leopard wrasse but they are a different ball game, don’t travel well and difficult to get feeding, but once they are again pretty hardy... as said earlier the Heliocheres are a great genre and again a hardy bunch, I have 6 in my tank...

OP
OP
csreed

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that fairy wrasses are hardy fish, just great jumpers... so a good jump guard is essential... I love leopard wrasse but they are a different ball game, don’t travel well and difficult to get feeding, but once they are again pretty hardy... as said earlier the Heliocheres are a great genre and again a hardy bunch, I have 6 in my tank...
Not to worry - I have full coverage with glass over the top of my tank, so hopefully I've closed any holes they can commit suicide through. I'm thinking of a McKoskers, a ruby head fairy, maybe a Melanarus? Will they bully gobies or blennies?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to worry - I have full coverage with glass over the top of my tank, so hopefully I've closed any holes they can commit suicide through. I'm thinking of a McKoskers, a ruby head fairy, maybe a Melanarus? Will they bully gobies or blennies?
Sorry I don’t have gobies or blennies to comment, I have dottybacks and grammas and have no issues, but I doubt they will pick on them in my experience they keep themselves to themselves except with close family members

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melanarus pretty much leaves everyone alone, including my firefish, goby and inverts (except feather dusters) . I also have an H. Chrysus, common name yellow coris wrasse (although it isn't technically a coris). He's very peaceful although still a juvenile. They are together in a 180gal tank with an exquisite fairy wrasse and a McKosker's flasher.

The melanarus, exquisite, and McKoskers all did fine together in a 75 gal tank before I upgraded.

I've read that some of the other Heliocheres can be mean, but I don't have any direct experience.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look around and see what you like and post back here with your choices. I have bennies with Halichoeres, Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus with zero problems.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have SOOOO many options. I'd personally do a strong combo of fairy and flasher wrasses along with some leopard and halichoeres.

spectra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 750 and my wrasses are as follows.......Melanurus, Radiant, Blue Star Leopard, Black Leopard and a Red Tailed Tamerin....... Everyone gets along pretty good......Did add a Choati but the Blue Star did not like it one bit.........funny thing is I had one for a long time with the Blue Star with no issues what so ever.......Choati died and was about 8 months without one.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass cover isn’t great for Flasher and Fairy wrasse. They really jump hard and will get fatal head and spine injury. I would really consider remove the glass and use screen cover. Fairy wrasses Isosceles, Lubbocki, Exquisite are all nice and docile wrasses. Flasher Flavincaudalis, McCoskeri, Carpenter are all nice and docile. Beautiful too

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as fairy wrasses. If you choose fish of different complexes (referenced above), you should be okay. I have a lineatus, pintail, Lobouti and sailfin in my 260 without any trouble. They’re all happy swimmers and don’t have any aggression toward each other.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as fairy wrasses. If you choose fish of different complexes (referenced above), you should be okay. I have a lineatus, pintail, Lobouti and sailfin in my 260 without any trouble. They’re all happy swimmers and don’t have any aggression toward each other.
All are beautiful, but the Sailfin (AKA Blue throat) C. cyanogularis is a very aggressive fairy wrasse. So is the C. labouti.
Here is my Cyanogularis
BlueThroatFairy2019040401.jpg

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have at least 10 wrasses in my 120, perhaps more. a great deal of rock and not much substrate at all. Am in Jamaica now and do plan on taking back some sand.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a solar, melanurus, and ruby head at the same time. The ruby head was definitely aggressive, especially to the solar wrasse. It also got much larger than I expected... about 5" and fat. I agree that a bluehead and ruby head would probably not mix well. Your other ideas sound pretty feasible though.

I'm adding another solar (in QT now) soon and also planning to add a Labouti once I can get one at the LFS. May add another halichoeres spp. too as I've got plenty of sand for it and they are terrific hunters (e.g., rusty flatworms).

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 121 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back