Come home to a nightmare

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m kind of lost at what to do, I’m 99% sure my tank has been struck by velvet or brook.
The last addition was a Diamond goby 50 days ago.
second to last addition was a one spot foxface 78 days ago.
neither of them has showed any symptoms of any diseases since added. My other livestock include:
2x clowns
2x green chromis
Ruby red dragonet
Neon dottyback

I watch my tank atleast 30 min every evening after getting home from work and give everything a once over (clean glass, check filter sock, skimmer cup, etc) I have noticed the last 2 evenings the fox face has been staying in his little hideaway even when feeding and nori clipped right by his favorite cave. All fish look healthy otherwise.
fast foward to today I get home and doing my normal routine except now the clowns are hiding with the foxface and the dottyback is up in the corner witch isn’t really abnormal as he loves to be first in line for me to drop some food in and he usually watches me an follows me as I pass by the tank. But I notice he looks like he’s dusty, thought maybe the Diamond goby stirred up a storm or something. But then I look closer and I’m almost certain it’s a disease. Only other fish that I see the white film and dots on is the clowns. And the Ruby red is no where to be found.

Im ashamed to admit I have no medications on hand or even a tank to setup for hospital.

I’m afraid I will have some livestock losses by morning, even tho they don’t look like they are struggling now.

Not even sure where to start or what to do next. I have corals and inverts in the tank an I know treating a display tank is almost impossible to do. And if I can get a hospital setup it would be later in the week if not the weekend due to work. And catching the dang fish is another task in itself with all the rock work.
im at a loss….help me fellow reefers. I don’t want this to be my breaking point. I just broke the year reefing mark

thanks

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post pics and a video if you can - have any fish been swimming into the flow.
It does sound like velvet, treating all fish with copper would be necessary to combat the disease.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Though you didn't add any fish - did you add anything else? Do you have coral/inverts? Are they doing ok? Have you checked your parameters?

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get pics under white lights tommorow when I get home from work. No fish swimming directly into flow, only the dotty back hanging in the top corner where there is good bit of flow as I have 4 wavemakers total in 90g tank.
i Havnt not added any coral or inverts in over 2 months. Only thing changed is picked up new thing of some flake food but same brand as I always use from lfs.
tank paramaters all in check beside phosphate tad higher then has been running, I test usually once a week. All Hannah testers besides mag I use Red Sea pro kit.

Salinity 1.026
Temp 77.4
Alk 8.2
Ph 8.3
Nitrate 15.7
Phos 0.18
Cal 402
Mag 1480

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I will get pics under white lights tommorow when I get home from work. No fish swimming directly into flow, only the dotty back hanging in the top corner where there is good bit of flow as I have 4 wavemakers total in 90g tank.
i Havnt not added any coral or inverts in over 2 months. Only thing changed is picked up new thing of some flake food but same brand as I always use from lfs.
tank paramaters all in check beside phosphate tad higher then has been running, I test usually once a week. All Hannah testers besides mag I use Red Sea pro kit.

Salinity 1.026
Temp 77.4
Alk 8.2
Ph 8.3
Nitrate 15.7
Phos 0.18
Cal 402
Mag 1480
For starters, you are seeing things we dont- Please provide pics under white lighting of fish to best assess what you actually have. There is more than just swimming into flow with velvet
What is ammonia level and are you buying RODI water or making your own?

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters, you are seeing things we dont- Please provide pics under white lighting of fish to best assess what you actually have. There is more than just swimming into flow with velvet
What is ammonia level and are you buying RODI water or making your own?
Yes I’ll be getting pics soon I get home after work. Lights are already out for the night an I leave in morning before they come on.
i don’t regularly test for ammonia but I can dig out a old api kit I have used for just testing cycle.
i make my own RODI, 4 stage unit zero tds. Using it on our 24g reef no issues, also use on a small freshwater in my wife’s classroom no issues.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes I’ll be getting pics soon I get home after work. Lights are already out for the night an I leave in morning before they come on.
i don’t regularly test for ammonia but I can dig out a old api kit I have used for just testing cycle.
i make my own RODI, 4 stage unit zero tds. Using it on our 24g reef no issues, also use on a small freshwater in my wife’s classroom no issues.
If its an old kit- likely wont have accurate reading but a water change will not hurt.
Lets do this a different way:
Do you notice flashing, itching, darting, heavy breathing, yawning effect, loss of appetite?
IF NOT:
Lethargic behavior, swimming at surface, listless, No appetite, eyes cloudy or a velvety sheen on the bodies?

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its an old kit- likely wont have accurate reading but a water change will not hurt.
Lets do this a different way:
Do you notice flashing, itching, darting, heavy breathing, yawning effect, loss of appetite?
IF NOT:
Lethargic behavior, swimming at surface, listless, No appetite, eyes cloudy or a velvety sheen on the bodies?
It’s about 10-12 months old, to far out to trust?
I have noticed the clowns and foxface not actively eating as much as they normally do Can’t say I’ve seen them itch or flash any
Breathing looks normal, swimming is normal, mostly staying hidden in the cave work of rocks
Eyes slightly cloudy and a dusty bumpy matte sheen on body’s.
Clowns an dottyback only ones to have visual physical symptoms.
foxface only symptom is lack of Appetite and hiding more than normal.
chromis and Diamond goby appear unaffected as of tonight

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It’s about 10-12 months old, to far out to trust?
I have noticed the clowns and foxface not actively eating as much as they normally do Can’t say I’ve seen them itch or flash any
Breathing looks normal, swimming is normal, mostly staying hidden in the cave work of rocks
Eyes slightly cloudy and a dusty bumpy matte sheen on body’s.
Clowns an dottyback only ones to have visual physical symptoms.
foxface only symptom is lack of Appetite and hiding more than normal.
chromis and Diamond goby appear unaffected as of tonight
My suspicion May be Velvet and treatment best in quarantine However with velvet ASSUMING ITS velvet, Ruby Rally pro which is reef safe may work but again Assuming vevet with again the importance of pics and video under white lighting

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suspicion May be Velvet and treatment best in quarantine However with velvet ASSUMING ITS velvet, Ruby Rally pro which is reef safe may work but again Assuming vevet with again the importance of pics and video under white lighting
I’ve been looking at tons of threads on here with pics an videos, unfortunately I’m fairly certain it’s velvet as well. I will still get some pics an video tomorrow to confirm or deny. Looks like I need to be getting a 20g together for quarantine tank while the 90g runs the course out.
im still confused at where it come from, is it possible to have just already been with one of my fish an waited this long to fully develop? Is it something that can naturally occur in the tank? I’m way off in left field now but we had a 2 bearded dragon who passed of unexplainable reasons a month back and has me on a theory of possibly a virus or bacteria living in the house….crazy I know, but I hate the unknown cause

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve been looking at tons of threads on here with pics an videos, unfortunately I’m fairly certain it’s velvet as well. I will still get some pics an video tomorrow to confirm or deny. Looks like I need to be getting a 20g together for quarantine tank while the 90g runs the course out.
im still confused at where it come from, is it possible to have just already been with one of my fish an waited this long to fully develop? Is it something that can naturally occur in the tank? I’m way off in left field now but we had a 2 bearded dragon who passed of unexplainable reasons a month back and has me on a theory of possibly a virus or bacteria living in the house….crazy I know, but I hate the unknown cause
Velvet is a flagellate and can come in with inverts, plants and even rock. If you added anything within last week, you may have your answer. generally environmental conditions such as sudden water temperature change and salinity change, spores in rock and non-quarantine of new fish

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet is a flagellate and can come in with inverts, plants and even rock. If you added anything within last week, you may have your answer. generally environmental conditions such as sudden water temperature change and salinity change, spores in rock and non-quarantine of new fish
That’s what’s baffling me, last thing added was the Diamond goby at over a month ago.
call me crazy again but we got a live Christmas tree last week an its
About 12ft from the tank. Any possiblity? Or am I grasping lol I’m genuinely upset because I don’t know what the cause was. I could understand if I just added fish or coral. But it’s been 50 something days since anything added. And looking back at what’s changed is the new container of flake food, got a Christmas tree, an phosphates rose slightly. All other paramaters right in line over last month.
ugh I hate not knowing why

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That’s what’s baffling me, last thing added was the Diamond goby at over a month ago.
call me crazy again but we got a live Christmas tree last week an its
About 12ft from the tank. Any possiblity? Or am I grasping lol I’m genuinely upset because I don’t know what the cause was. I could understand if I just added fish or coral. But it’s been 50 something days since anything added. And looking back at what’s changed is the new container of flake food, got a Christmas tree, an phosphates rose slightly. All other paramaters right in line over last month.
ugh I hate not knowing why
Not aware of Xmas tree effects on air UNLESS its absorbing or affecting PH ?

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not aware of Xmas tree effects on air UNLESS its absorbing or affecting PH ?
I was just curious if it could have been a carrier of something. It’s late an I’m grasping.
thank you for the info and help. I’ll update tomorrow evening with white light pics. Hopefully don’t have any losses but I’m preparing myself for the possibility

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious if it could have been a carrier of something. It’s late an I’m grasping.
thank you for the info and help. I’ll update tomorrow evening with white light pics. Hopefully don’t have any losses but I’m preparing myself for the possibility

Until the pictures/update - I doubt the Christmas tree was an issue unless you used spray scent or flocking.

Velvet always has rapid breathing and death within a few days of noticing the symptoms (if not treated). Another option would be flukes - where the fish generally act ill, some slightly rapid breathing, a sort of disheveled look. Flukes also can show up months after adding the last fish, where with velvet, it is more often within weeks.

Jay

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my best to get a few pictures in some white lights, tried to get video but they seem to all be camera shy an hide when I try an observe them. Tried to do it when feeding but all you see in video is particles floating by them.

Attachments

• F2012637-9511-40D5-9034-34B6D8C95386.jpeg
    F2012637-9511-40D5-9034-34B6D8C95386.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 3F432F26-90C4-44BA-925D-6AB924AB36E3.jpeg
    3F432F26-90C4-44BA-925D-6AB924AB36E3.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 4E6F0149-60A2-4201-9913-9813E22FCEC9.jpeg
    4E6F0149-60A2-4201-9913-9813E22FCEC9.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3254.MOV
    35.9 MB

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That dottyback has noticeable spots. Looks like advanced cryptocaryon irritans in the dottyback, but I can't tell in tge clownfish. There could be multiple pathogens at play too.
+1

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+2

I see ich on the dottyback and probably on the clownfish as well. However, as mentioned, multiple diseases can be at play - I don't see any evidence of Velvet, but I cannot rule out flukes, or Brooklynella (less likely).

Treatment is going to be the real trick here - without a quarantine tank you will be severely limited to what you can try.

Jay

Back