Coming Back To The Hobby

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to do the 'cocktail shrimp' cycle where you just toss a few in to decay, so I figured that would feed ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate once the bacteria were fully seeded/established, and then once there was a nitrate spike showing on the tests I could start the cycle of the denitrifier, in theory. So long as I continue to ensure there's enough stuff breaking down to feed the bacteria to continue to produce NO3.

My concern would be if there's enough nitrate to fully support the bacteria in the denitrifier in that case though. I would almost think I'm better off getting the tank at least mostly stocked before cycling it just so there's a guaranteed abundance of NO3?

For methanol version I agree, it will require many adjustments along the way. For the ethanol version, it will grow without you needing to do adjustments to the unit itself, just add more vodka as the load increases (I use about 5-7ml a week).

Traian Boala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang!
4) Any other suggestions?

Any help/direction is always appreciated.

I would also consider Clarisea or Rollermat. No more filter socks, almost no maintenance and cristal clear water.
Good luck with your new tank and welcome to R2R! :)

OP
OP
Adalius

Adalius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also consider Clarisea or Rollermat. No more filter socks, almost no maintenance and cristal clear water.
Good luck with your new tank and welcome to R2R! :)
Definitely been considering a filter roller. I know 100% that the filter socks are out either way, worst case they'll get replaced with filter cups, best case a roller.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back