Coming back to the hobby

MadCaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I’m getting back into the hobby after 15 year hiatus where a house move ended my first saltwater adventure prematurely. I’m hoping to build a nice setup for my home that will keep me interested and will peek the interest of my wife and kids. I’ve been checking out used tanks in my city and have most recently landed on a used Red Sea reefer 250 with a custom sump. Ive heard mixed reviews on thes models so am a bit on the fence. Anyone here have any experience with the 250? Good or bad?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back :) As for experience,I have had two smaller Red Sea tanks (170's) and I liked them! When i went for my bigger setup, i went with Cade for build quality, reputation and just general nice-ness!

Have a look, they're pretty awesome

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby! I like the Red Sea tanks, but do some searching on the older models if you're looking to pick one up used. There's some stories about seal failure after a few years. The newer G2 models appear to have corrected some issues (tbd since they're still new), and that's what I personally have. It might be worth the peace of mind to grab a newer model depending on the difference in price for you!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I’m getting back into the hobby after 15 year hiatus where a house move ended my first saltwater adventure prematurely. I’m hoping to build a nice setup for my home that will keep me interested and will peek the interest of my wife and kids. I’ve been checking out used tanks in my city and have most recently landed on a used Red Sea reefer 250 with a custom sump. Ive heard mixed reviews on thes models so am a bit on the fence. Anyone here have any experience with the 250? Good or bad?

Welcome! Glad you joined. I also found a deal on used tank to return to hobby. I found my second tank used on FB Marketplace. You will fit right in!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). It is never too early!

This might help you find people local to you (if you are USA):

This might help you find people local to you (AB sounds like Canada):

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back