Coming up on 10 years...

CoralManz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got this coral in my tank that no matter what I just can't get a good photo of. It's a real shame too because it really is a nice piece in person. Every shot I've taken is just either way too bright, too washed out or just plain doesn't look anything like what my eye sees. So bought one of those look down boxes from Bulk Reef Supply, in the hopes that I could finally capture this beauty. I was considering going for one of Avast Marines' Top Down "Porthole", but those were just about twice the price of the look down box from BRS. Well, the look down showed up yesterday and I finally got to give it a try today. Here's the elusive coral I've been trying to get a photo of for so long...
RMF_zps3cemkuk2.jpg

It's not EXACTLY as my eye sees it, but it's the closest I've ever been able to get. I'll try to get a shot with the Macro lens a little later to see if I can do better.

Now on to my next problem.....

Really like that your'e posting those throw back photos and that's a beautiful piece, kinda looks like the vivid rainbow.

Special_K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Your experienced is a great inspiration to me. I'm planning on a basement fish room too. How is that 100G sump work for you? Could you please show some details? I have questions regarding the return pump, too!

OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Your experienced is a great inspiration to me. I'm planning on a basement fish room too. How is that 100G sump work for you? Could you please show some details? I have questions regarding the return pump, too!
Thanks. The basement sump/fish room was probably the best thing I could have done for my tank. The extra water volume, a place to dose supplements, a safe spill zone to make RO water (you know what I mean), a place for all the filtration and a nice easy way to do water changes makes maintaining the tank much easier. Here are some really old shots of the fish room; a few things have changed like new skimmer, I don't run lights over the sump anymore, my frag tank is LED lit now and I've added a few more shelves for convenience. I use a Reeflow Hammerhead return pump to get the water back up to the main floor and to supply the frag tank.

IMG_4068.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

Special_K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The basement sump/fish room was probably the best thing I could have done for my tank. The extra water volume, a place to dose supplements, a safe spill zone to make RO water (you know what I mean), a place for all the filtration and a nice easy way to do water changes makes maintaining the tank much easier. Here are some really old shots of the fish room; a few things have changed like new skimmer, I don't run lights over the sump anymore, my frag tank is LED lit now and I've added a few more shelves for convenience. I use a Reeflow Hammerhead return pump to get the water back up to the main floor and to supply the frag tank.

IMG_4068.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg
Thank you for sharing! How do you control water level for your skimmer?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build thread

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the Red Table that I had to get out of my main display because it just got way too big. I had it placed between the dual overflows near the top of my tank. It got so big it was blocking 80% of the light for everything underneath it soooooo it had to go. You can see right down the middle where the euro brace on the tank blocked the light....
d1dbdc475e73365099628c0b4fcfd22b.jpg

That thing had to weigh 40 pounds!!!

OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up one of those Avast top down porthole thingy's for my DSLR so I figured I'd try it out on the frag tank today....

DCA LemonBerry.jpg

DCA Lemonberry

Purple Passion.jpg

Purple Passion

RMF Crown Jewel 1.jpg

RMF Crown Jewel

RMF Crown Jewel 2.jpg

RMF Crown Jewel

RR The Vinh.jpg

Reef Raft The Vinh...scored this at a local frag swap a couple of weeks ago

SC Orange Passion 1.jpg

SC Orange Passion...Been wanting one of these for a long time. The last one I had I lost

SC Orange Passion 3.jpg

SCOP #2... I wanted one so bad I bought 2 of them!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tyree Pinky the Bear.jpg

Tyree Pinky the Bear...quickly becoming one of my favorites, looks amazing under blues, and not too shabby under whites as you see here.

TGC Inner Core.jpg

TGC Inner Core

JF Jolt 1.jpg

Jason Fox Jolt. Pic taken under blues

JF Jolt 3.jpg

Same piece (JF Jolt) under day lights

JF Jolt 2.jpg

And again under day lights

Walt Disney 1.jpg

Walt Disney

WWC Christmas Mirabilis 1.jpg

WWC Christmas Mirabillis

WWC Christmas Mirabilis 2.jpg

Another shot of it

WWC Christmas Mirabilis 3.jpg

And another

OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool unknown 1.jpg

This thing is way cool in person. You can't tell by the photos but the growth tips are yellowish fading to a baby blue.

Cool unknown 2.jpg

Miyagi Tort.jpg

Miyagi Tort

PC Rainbow.jpg

PC Rainbow. Another backup for the mother colony in my main display. Just fragged it ~3-4 weeks ago.

Strawberry Shortcake.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You my friend have one kickass tank. Congrats on ten years. The pic of the 22 in acro was unreal. You can clearly see why it had to come out of the tank. Thanks for sharing your pic.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back