Commercial frag tank, VALUE?

BigWorm150gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm new to saltwater and this forum. In fact, this is my first post!! So can anyone help me with the value of this 60 gal commercial frag tank came out of a Petco. Acrylic about an inch thick. Has a sump with a huge skimmer and return pump. Also four bulb t5 lighting that works. Whats the most I should give for it? He said it was like ten thousand new? Thanks. I have a 150 gal I'm setting up currently to start growing coral etc.
fragtank.jpg
fragtank.jpg
fragtanksump.jpg

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it was a bit on the expensive side because it's specifically made for commercial use, but I can't see anywhere close to $10K new. I'd say brand new, that's probably about $4,500 max (and that's a comfortably high estimate). As for a buying price, I'd say $1,200-$1,500 is probably the general range the right buyer would be willing to pay. If it were me, I'd probably offer $1,000-$1,200 range.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the tank is worth $120-150 maybe slightly more if it was buffed and polished but it's not. $50 for the sump, $100 for the stand, maybe slightly more. Not sure what the skimmer is so I can't place a value on it. The misc stuff should just be included with it. So $300 + whatever the skimmer value. No way I'd pay $1000 for that setup. $500ish seems alright. Maybe slightly more since it has everything you want all together but new I can't see this being worth anything close to $10k. If this is 10k then a 4x8 vat that is a common size in reef shops would be $100k

The value may be higher or lower depending on your area. If used tanks are plentiful its worth less, if there is nothing else for sale locally it's going to be closer to the new value.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First off welcome to R2R where you will find tons of lovely people and with that more knowledge then you will know how to handle. Everyone on here will definitely be honest and very nice and fair. We are all super glad your part of the family.

In regards to others and this setup, there is no way it’s a 10,000 dollar setup. Maybe they meant 1,000 but 10,000 I truly honestly can not see the value in that. If I was being generous, and nice I would offer 500 as my top figure. Most of the others between 250-350 are probably dead on. You could almost buy a new one and do the same set up for about the same price.

Most of us or hobbyists that have been in this for awhile will know what we are getting in a deal. He may try to sell it to someone who is new and doesn’t know any better. He could also do the same and say I’d take 500 for it. But, I suggest you test everything first, including it holding water. Please do your research before buying this. Ultimately it’s
Your choice and your money etc, but none of us here will lie to you.

What is your intent on this system your thinking about? Is it to grow and sell coral professionally as a business? Yet, do you intend to place corals in that tank first, then move to your display tank? Regardless, feel free to ask me for help or any one else of course. Good luck and welcome to the family.

Sincerely
Sarah

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W all respect to the opinions of those who posted, i would say 700 is a safe number. 1 inch acrylic isn’t cheap. Granted, you are not buying it new. If you are happy with the dimensions and the condition (or can recondition it to what you want) pay a bit extra to get what you want.

You will find that as in any walk of life, value is in the eye. Some people would not take it for free (or offer 300), others would say its worth 1500. If you want to get a good idea of the value, get the dimensions and call a few acrylic manufacturers and get a quote for tank and stand. I bet it’s in the 3-4K range just for those two items. The skimmer is meh but it will work. Value of the rest of the equipment depends on whether you will keep it or replace it

Karl M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10k is a bit exaggerated. 500.00 would be the top end as it sets. I personally would walk away, any thing above 400.00
Good luck and welcome to the family!

Reefaddict1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10000 for this set up As most stated is way off. 1 inch acrylic isn’t cheap but it’s not even close.
I would say 500 for tank stand sump skimmer. I don’t think those lights are worth anything. 4 bulb t5 thst size is pretty undersized imo so I would pass on the light

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably did pay that much for it. The petco here had a tank like that for coral and it was in that range. Their 50-75 gallon long tanks they have for displays are 3k each. But they come with anything warranties from where they buy them so they are mostly paying for the servicing at that price point

OP
OP
B

BigWorm150gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, Well he said he was asking around $600 for it, and I asked if 500 would get it and he said yes. My dummy shoulda offered less and met him somewhere lil bit cheaper, but its a nice setup. Might switch the t5 to an LED setup or just add some on the side of the t5 prob. So I guess I'm getting it tomorrow for 500, or very close to. Still never even had a saltwater setup, but I'm about to!!! haha. Setting up my 150 gal setup I got off craigslist for $80 and refinished the stand and built a canopy. Been collecting parts to get it going while learing the info I need to get started. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Located in Morgantown, WV, anyone close?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back