Community fish suggestions

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some assistance for my next batch or fish purchase. I am looking for community fish for my reef tank and wanted to get some ideas from the community. Corals I have softies and lps including trachyphillia and large bubble coral. Inverts are
10 hermit crabs
3 conch
2 turbos
5 trochus snails
A few crowie snail
Feather duster
Tiger pistol shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
A few peperments
I think I still have a flame scallop have not seen it in a while
And a hand full of Nassarious snails

Fish
2 clowns
2 engineer gobies (trying to get them out
Sailfin tang
Hippo tang
Mandarin
Exquisite wrasse
Blue throat wrasse
Long fin wrasse
Ruby wrasse
2 cardinal fish

I recently had a clam die and a few corals due to my low biological load and my biggest recommendation was to get some more fish. I am over feeding like crazy and still having a hard time having my nutrients being testable. I like more natural processes for my aquarium so I think more waste producers is what I need. Maybe some anthias, not sure have not had the best luck with square spot and lyretail.

I also have a 200 gallon tank. Established and 1 year old just low on nitrates and phosphates and have a dirty sand bed.
Thank you in advance.

IMG_0200.jpeg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Look into a prawn or shrimp Goby to go with the pistol shrimp?

Halichoeres Wrasse? I like my Melanurus and Leucoxanthus. Yellow Coris (Chrysus) is another option. 200 gallon do the Melanurus and a Chrysus or Leucoxanthus.

OP
OP
btackerman

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into a prawn or shrimp Goby to go with the pistol shrimp?

Halichoeres Wrasse? I like my Melanurus and Leucoxanthus. Yellow Coris (Chrysus) is another option. 200 gallon do the Melanurus and a Chrysus or Leucoxanthus.
Aren’t those wrasses not reef safe though and I tried watchman gobies and I think the engineer chased them out of the tank because I found them on the floor about a week later

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Aren’t those wrasses not reef safe though and I tried watchman gobies and I think the engineer chased them out of the tank because I found them on the floor about a week later
The Melanurus and Leucoxanthus are reef safe "with caution" because they can eat CUC. I hav a 125 with a Leucoxanthus and Melanurus. My Trochus and Stomatellas breed readily and the two leave them alone. I've seen the Mel eat a Cerith or two but still have plenty of those as well.

You can also always add a group of Anthias.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some assistance for my next batch or fish purchase. I am looking for community fish for my reef tank and wanted to get some ideas from the community. Corals I have softies and lps including trachyphillia and large bubble coral. Inverts are
10 hermit crabs
3 conch
2 turbos
5 trochus snails
A few crowie snail
Feather duster
Tiger pistol shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
A few peperments
I think I still have a flame scallop have not seen it in a while
And a hand full of Nassarious snails

Fish
2 clowns
2 engineer gobies (trying to get them out
Sailfin tang
Hippo tang
Mandarin
Exquisite wrasse
Blue throat wrasse
Long fin wrasse
Ruby wrasse
2 cardinal fish

I recently had a clam die and a few corals due to my low biological load and my biggest recommendation was to get some more fish. I am over feeding like crazy and still having a hard time having my nutrients being testable. I like more natural processes for my aquarium so I think more waste producers is what I need. Maybe some anthias, not sure have not had the best luck with square spot and lyretail.

I also have a 200 gallon tank. Established and 1 year old just low on nitrates and phosphates and have a dirty sand bed.
Thank you in advance.

IMG_0200.jpeg
Oh wow beautiful!! Have you thought about adding an angelfish? Stunning fish. Ive got a saddleback butterfly fish who doesnt touch corals, might be worth a try! Also foxface rabbitfish are a super good fish to add!! I also have a harem of Lyertail anthias, 1 male 4 females. You could look into those! My tank is a six foot 125 by the way.

OP
OP
btackerman

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow beautiful!! Have you thought about adding an angelfish? Stunning fish. Ive got a saddleback butterfly fish who doesnt touch corals, might be worth a try! Also foxface rabbitfish are a super good fish to add!! I also have a harem of Lyertail anthias, 1 male 4 females. You could look into those! My tank is a six foot 125 by the way.
I have and there is only 1 I am considering just not the price which is the zebra angelfish and last I saw they are $400, for what I spent on corals I have to be certain that my corals are safe.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't have one but I've been watching for a Lamarck's Angel.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and there is only 1 I am considering just not the price which is the zebra angelfish and last I saw they are $400, for what I spent on corals I have to be certain that my corals are safe.
Yeah thats true!! Angels are hit or miss with corals

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back