Compatibility

Guynamedfish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2022
Messages
199
Reaction score
26
Location
florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m really fixed on stocking my tank with a vtail grouper it is a 75 and I know it says 180 but I keep hearing that it’s ok so what tankmates could I put for him
 
So I’m really fixed on stocking my tank with a vtail grouper it is a 75 and I know it says 180 but I keep hearing that it’s ok so what tankmates could I put for him
Yeah that tank isn't big enough for a fish of that size. Since you can only mix other big fish with him that are as aggressive you can't really have that big of fish in a 75. On top of that with bigger fish comes heavier bio load which means higher nitrates and maintenance, which results in lower water quality.
 
Upvote 0
That's two cautions, and I'll add a third! I wouldn't get that type of grouper unless I had a six-foot tank. And large, aggressive tankmates. If you really want a member of the family truly suitable for a home aquarium, get a chalk bass. It's got the look and temperment of one of its larger relatives without the size and risk of one.
 
Upvote 0
The grouper will not be OK in there long term. It will get up to a foot in length, and has a massive bioload due to how much it eats. You could keep it in there until it reached about 7 inches, but at that point it would become stressed and the filtration will be overrun with waste. I second the chalk bass, you get all the behavior and looks of a grouper in a 3-4" fish.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new