Compatibility

Guynamedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m really fixed on stocking my tank with a vtail grouper it is a 75 and I know it says 180 but I keep hearing that it’s ok so what tankmates could I put for him

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m really fixed on stocking my tank with a vtail grouper it is a 75 and I know it says 180 but I keep hearing that it’s ok so what tankmates could I put for him
Yeah that tank isn't big enough for a fish of that size. Since you can only mix other big fish with him that are as aggressive you can't really have that big of fish in a 75. On top of that with bigger fish comes heavier bio load which means higher nitrates and maintenance, which results in lower water quality.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's two cautions, and I'll add a third! I wouldn't get that type of grouper unless I had a six-foot tank. And large, aggressive tankmates. If you really want a member of the family truly suitable for a home aquarium, get a chalk bass. It's got the look and temperment of one of its larger relatives without the size and risk of one.

Upvote 0

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The grouper will not be OK in there long term. It will get up to a foot in length, and has a massive bioload due to how much it eats. You could keep it in there until it reached about 7 inches, but at that point it would become stressed and the filtration will be overrun with waste. I second the chalk bass, you get all the behavior and looks of a grouper in a 3-4" fish.

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back