Completely resealing an aquarium

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for input from those that have done this before. I have a 60 cube that started leaking. In the mad dash to limit water on the, thankfully, tile floor I drained it as fast as I could. I am fairly certain it wasn't from a bulk head but rather a glass to glass seal.

Rather than ditch a tank that I actually really like, I'm considering stripping off all of the old silicone completely and reseal it from scratch. If this really isn't feasible, let me know, but I am pretty sure it's possible, with the largest challenges ensuring that ALL of the old silicone is actually off and then getting the tank square when reapplying.

Any advice?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done it personally but for a 60 Cube it should be a pretty easy reseal. As mentioned above the hardest part is scraping and cleaning the old stuff off. Once scraped use acetone to remove any residue. Spacers to maintain an even gap on the joint, clamp it all together and go to town.

I know easier said than done but the tank size will make it a pretty reasonable project for any first timer.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for input from those that have done this before. I have a 60 cube that started leaking. In the mad dash to limit water on the, thankfully, tile floor I drained it as fast as I could. I am fairly certain it wasn't from a bulk head but rather a glass to glass seal.

Rather than ditch a tank that I actually really like, I'm considering stripping off all of the old silicone completely and reseal it from scratch. If this really isn't feasible, let me know, but I am pretty sure it's possible, with the largest challenges ensuring that ALL of the old silicone is actually off and then getting the tank square when reapplying.

Any advice?
It will be just like brand new.
Just watch some instruction videos & go for it.

Cathics88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resealed several tanks. Make sure to remove all the spare bits of silicone. You can buy "aquarium" silicone from brs or marinedepot or anywhere but you can get less expensive silicone from homedepot or Lowe's. Just make sure its 100% silicone with no antimicrobial in it.

I used 90% iso alcohol to clean where the new silicone would go and worked methodically from left to right. Preference is up to you. Use your index finger dabbed in water to help set the bead of silicone in to the corners and along the seams. Let it set and then water test it.

For your size of tank it's a half day project and a 1 or 2 day wait to see if it all went as planned. If it doesn't rinse and repeat, but you should do just fine on the first try.

Good luck!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you are taking the tank apart and starting from scratch you should get a tank that will last for years.
Absolutely get a spare set of hands.
Also, get some plastic speed squares ( minimum 4 )and double stick tape.
Plus plenty of outside clamps.
I would also look into getting a 10 oz. tube and a good caulking gun. Get one that has a pressure relief button on the handle.
One of the better aquarium sealants in Momentive RTV 108 which is clear or do black which is Momentive RTV 103.
Have rags handy and make a plan for putting back together. Go over it with your help so each of you knows exactly what the next step is.
Good luck.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, no panels are tempered. How hard is it to cut the glass? Or is that best left to a local glass shop? I’d thought of replacing the 60 with a 45 since it’s a second tank anyway. If I’m going to take it apart....

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way I’ve seen glass cut is like this.

Seaaquariumdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually done this to a Marineland 60 rr cube recently. Start at the top with a razor blade and work to the bottom slowly( don’t force it). After every thing is pulled apart scape as much off with a razor blade changing as often as needed. To do it right you’re probably going to go through about 50+ of theses. Then use acetone to help dissolve the silicone. And alcohol to clean the glass up. Layout and mask off where you want no silicone. Use Ge ses1200. It comes in black and clear. It’s the best stuff out there. I’ve done 4 different tanks this way ( a 220,180,a 360 which was known as my Frankentank because it was 180 and a 120 a euro bracing pieced together.and the recent 60. All with no leaks 6 years strong for the 220 until I took it down. Any questions just ask.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 220 grit sandpaper to sand the edges. Removes the silicone and smooths any rough edges of glass. Then wipe down with an alcohol soaked sponge.

Use latex or nitrile gloves to protect your skin from absorbing the alcohol and acetone. Small kitchen sponges work great for scrubbing with acetone.

ljc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually done this to a Marineland 60 rr cube recently. Start at the top with a razor blade and work to the bottom slowly( don’t force it). After every thing is pulled apart scape as much off with a razor blade changing as often as needed. To do it right you’re probably going to go through about 50+ of theses. Then use acetone to help dissolve the silicone. And alcohol to clean the glass up. Layout and mask off where you want no silicone. Use Ge ses1200. It comes in black and clear. It’s the best stuff out there. I’ve done 4 different tanks this way ( a 220,180,a 360 which was known as my Frankentank because it was 180 and a 120 a euro bracing pieced together.and the recent 60. All with no leaks 6 years strong for the 220 until I took it down. Any questions just ask.
Hi Dude,

I've just purchased a used 210 gallon Oceanic. The guy before me took most of the silicone off and I'll finish cleaning it up before resealing. It's a rimmed aquarium and I was not planning to take it down completely. Do you know if acetone or alcohol will degrade the silicone that is holding the glass edges?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dude,

I've just purchased a used 210 gallon Oceanic. The guy before me took most of the silicone off and I'll finish cleaning it up before resealing. It's a rimmed aquarium and I was not planning to take it down completely. Do you know if acetone or alcohol will degrade the silicone that is holding the glass edges?
It helps to clean off residue but doesn’t disintegrate the glue completely.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 51 48.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 39 36.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back