Complex beginner build

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build is crazy!! Mad props man! I can't wait to see it filled and stocked up.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while, but i have spent a lot of time planning filtration and working taking my time to make an aquascape around the pole. I am not the best artist, but this is what I came up with:
C59919C5-43C2-41DA-8D31-5F9AF443842F_1_105_c.jpeg
Haha I see you back there in that Dino costume!

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude! Amazing build thread! I hadn't seen it before until now but wow... What an undertaking to build a reef tank AROUND a pole! I wouldn't have a clue where to start building my own tank. Well done and I can't wait to watch this succeed!

OP
OP
MrDellimore

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank cycle is finally complete! I added sand, RODI water, Salt, Dr Tims, Bio Spira, and fritz turbo start. The sand I had claimed to have bacteria so I wanted to see how it would handle ammonia I dosed to the tank. I added each bacteria additive a few days apart and tested to see how fast it processed ammonia. I know I probably should have tested this with different tanks, but I just wanted to have different strains from different brands to ensure the tank could handle the bio load.

E0E2C897-E5C5-4D39-977F-3741E326EBC1.JPG

Took about 5 days and one sediment filter before I made enough water for the 180DT, 75G sump, and 55g barrel!
Waiting and waiting!
F94ED192-FD39-4D57-9C84-C31E05FBE165.JPG

Adding bacteria in a bottle

3F4B88E9-3815-4382-8823-B7E19D3AD725_1_105_c.jpeg

The cycle went pretty fast. I kept adding ammonia and waited for Nitrites to fall and Nitrates to rise. When Nitrites went to 0 I added more ammonia. I was so anxious and testing multiple times a day! I increased my ammonia dosing up to 20ml which should have been enough to get 400G to 2ppm ammonia. Even with such a high dose the bacteria processed all the ammonia in under 24 hours and a I never saw ammonia go above 1ppm.

With such great results I decided to add my first fish!!!!!!!!!!!

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so happy I found your post today, I don't know how I could've wait that long to see how delighfull your setup is.
You are quite handy!
Congrats on what seems to me like the most fine tuned DIY aquarium out there.
Just an idea ... continuing rocks on the pole up to the top would look nice if you added a plant there....
but if anything i'm amazed ;Happy
Cheers!

OP
OP
MrDellimore

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to take some photos of the new tank mates when I get home. :)

I got two eco tech xr15 pros that should be arriving on Thursday. I am going to mount them and then build a canopy all the way to the ceiling to match the stand. Since I wont be adding coral for about 2 months I figured just do would be adequate for now.

I leave on Dec 26th to travel, dive and eat in Asia again so I will have to get through some projects to get everything automated before then!

I will hope to complete:
Canopy build
Auto Water Change system
Auto Feeding
Run the Clarisea Rollermat
Setup the skimmer (No idea how to do this!!!)
Start the Fuge
Plump a manifold
Add Carbon/GFO Reactor

Should be doable in the next 2 weeks with the right kind of coffee :)

Greenreef75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about the AI hybid with the eco tech. You could build it around the pole, If your doing corals down the road. I have it with hydra over my RSR 650 penn and love the options for lighting that it gives.

OP
OP
MrDellimore

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea most of my information on reefing comes from youtube and reef2reef. I see that one of the most agreed upon options for lighting is T5 /LED mix. (I am assuming by AI hybrid you mean T5 and LED)

Once I start actually learning the types of corals out there and what I plan to keep I think I will get a better idea of lighting. I kinda just chose the ecotech because they seemed to be one of the most high powered LED options to give me flexibility.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda just chose the ecotech because they seemed to be one of the most high powered LED options to give me flexibility.

echotechs are good because if you do decide to go with a T5 LED hybrid they will fit some of the fixtures out there. My LEDs didn’t nicely fit so I had to make it work... although after watching this come together I’m sure that’d be no problem for you.

OP
OP
MrDellimore

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meet Larry and Onyx!

yes I guess I am going to be that kind of reefer that names his fish. I felt like a dad and could hardly sleep when adding the fish. I had so many questions about what was normal and not normal, but there have been so many threads for me to find resources on normal clown behavior.

Larry And Onyx were a decision made because I wanted to try have create an “interracial relationship”.. we are a little progressive and and push boundaries in Brooklyn hahah.

They seem to be getting along and enjoying their new home. They play silly games flying towards the power heads and letting them throw them around lol.
12A454E7-E57D-4EAA-95E6-6AF3FE2CCBA0.jpeg

OP
OP
MrDellimore

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went a little crazy and got more fish! I wanted the clowns to have a few more circus mates to hang with while I leave the tank for a few weeks on auto pilot. when I return I hope to find some other cool reef safe additions like a mandarin and some tangs!

For the next few weeks my stock list is and will be:

onyx the clown
Larry the clown
Chucky the yellow coris wrasse
Salvador the Solar Wrass
Blenny the Blenny
Xena the Royal Gramma

2 unnamed conks that I will eat when they get bigger! (I am from the Caribbean where we eat these!)
Few hermit crabs
A few snails

1F20FF9D-405A-45C5-94E1-8656BA0DC561.jpeg

EA78D71E-37F7-4F21-BC7A-79A1BE319283.jpeg
574694FE-D1F0-495E-8389-E4BDCC65831D.jpeg
511B255E-55B3-4E8D-80BC-AA0993CDFB68.jpeg
496EEB96-6F29-4C5E-B5BC-8B4F0017AFA3.jpeg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy Moly! I hadn’t comes across this before but am glad I saw it this morning. Great job with everything!

I gotta say for someone thats never built a tank before you took on a most ambitious project. I certainly wouldn’t have had the stones to do it!

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! If this is what you can pull off on a First build from scratch can’t imagine how you would top it down the road. Thanks for sharing look forward to seeing it grow

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back