Concerned aboit my Blotchy Anthias

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So concerned about my male blotchy anthias for the last few days he has been just kinda hanging i couldn't put it any other way just started doing this randomly he's still eating not as aggressively as he was doesn't seem to be breathing quickly no spots no flashing

OP
OP
Mr Cypher

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20221016_151259.jpg
20221016_151247.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I cant blow up the pics but it appears may have velvet or flukes with flukes as my suspect. If my hunch is correct, gills will be red or swollen with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color .
If you dont see this- Good.
You can also try a 5 minute freshwater dip in water the same temperature as display tank and return fish to display tank. This not only offers temporary relief but you can then check the bottom of that container for what looks like sesane seeds or fish scales. If you see that - Flukes it is.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recognize your name, but I don't recall what your previous case was. The more background information we can have, the better:

Jay

OP
OP
Mr Cypher

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey J yes been a while last issue was ich and over a year ago tank went fallow 100 days just to be safe all fish since have been qt temp is 77 alk 8.7 ammonia 0 N03 8 Phos 1 as far as filtration skimmer, uv, 2 filter rollers brs carbon reactor lighting is 2 G5 XR15 on timer I only use Rodi water made my self TM pro reef salt haven't lost in quite a while have had this anthias for 6 mo got in group of 3 both others are happy healthy and he is by far the biggest

OP
OP
Mr Cypher

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last fish added were 2 mo ago a tiger pyge and oreni tile fish both qt

Attachments

• 20221016_155910.mp4
    15.8 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, nothing is jumping out at me as to a cause of this. I've never kept this species in a group, could there be some dynamic at work? I can see some slight damage to this fish's caudal and soft dorsal fin. Sometimes, largest doesn't mean "toughest". I kept a shoal of large Sacura anthias and they had some weird social structure, kind of like discus, where fish would intimidate each other without apparent chasing/fighting.

Jay

OP
OP
Mr Cypher

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering do u think he could be constipated or have a blockage of some type

OP
OP
Mr Cypher

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also status update he is swimming after food today instead of just gulping up what co.es by him his harem isn't the issue I dont think as he is 3 times the size he does posture with my tiger pyge didn't think much of it as he is twice his size

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering do u think he could be constipated or have a blockage of some type
Could be, but there is no way to solidly diagnose or treat that though.
Jay

OP
OP
Mr Cypher

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so after giving it some time I have come to the conclusion that I believe it to be flukes as everyone is still alive and have seen some flashing from other fish but no spots so I have prazzi pro and just want to make sure I. doing this right, No UV skimmer cup off no carbon and an air stone right? 7 days on one dose water change then 7 days off water change then 7 more days on next dose correct.The other reason I ask is because I have had an issue with it in the past but after prazzi pro my tile fish was still flashing

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is the treatment regimen for prazi, make sure the airstone is enough for your tank. Feed less as well, prazi is an appetite suppressant as well.

OP
OP
Mr Cypher

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so New question completed the 1st 7 days on day 4 of 1st dose my fish started flashing so I administered a second dose (no waterchange) flashing stopped waited for 7 days to finish (3 additional days) 30% water change put carbon back in and turned uv back on going to administer 2nd dose this wendsday my question, is it normal for them to start showing signs again so quick? After 1st dose some of my fish that showed no symptoms prior now show some, tile fish yawning 2 more anthias hiding looking more pale and I can see random size translucent spots on my gem tangs fins (only fish showing any spots) but all eating voraciously except the 1st anthia i was concerned about he does swim up to the top of the rocks and eats when I spot feed him still looks fat no spots I can see but def more pale

OP
OP
Mr Cypher

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please excuse the nem he is not happy after prazzipro

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so New question completed the 1st 7 days on day 4 of 1st dose my fish started flashing so I administered a second dose (no waterchange) flashing stopped waited for 7 days to finish (3 additional days) 30% water change put carbon back in and turned uv back on going to administer 2nd dose this wendsday my question, is it normal for them to start showing signs again so quick? After 1st dose some of my fish that showed no symptoms prior now show some, tile fish yawning 2 more anthias hiding looking more pale and I can see random size translucent spots on my gem tangs fins (only fish showing any spots) but all eating voraciously except the 1st anthia i was concerned about he does swim up to the top of the rocks and eats when I spot feed him still looks fat no spots I can see but def more pale
Sorry - I missed your post in my feed. Four days is a bit soon for new flukes to hatch out after a first prazi dose - 6 days is more typical. Are you sure you calculated the dose correctly, using the exact water volume of the tank?
A third dose may be needed if the first dose didn’t work as it shlould have. Five doses is sometimes required for Neobenedenia flukes in large tanks.
Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back