Concerned about getting a skimmer that is too large for your tank?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FAQ #24: Is having a protein skimmer that's rated larger than your tank advantageous?

Are you running an oversized skimmer? Maybe and undersized skimmer? Regardless, I'd like to know your thoughts!

.​

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger the better, but there is always room for over-kill
Ask anyone with a boat

Haha, so true...

Hey, want to buy a boat? :p

I personally like to oversize my skimmer. This could make a great episode for BRStv investigates

I tend to agree, but you need to have the proper demand for it. Great idea for the BRStv Investigates!

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, so true...

Hey, want to buy a boat? :p

I tend to agree, but you need to have the proper demand for it. Great idea for the BRStv Investigates!
+1, 100% Correct, demand, here comes the over-kill.
I have a boat, 26 Downeaster, lets go fishing and ponder such thoughts!

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But do you really have to have the demand for it. Is there a downside to your skimmer churning idol and only skimming when there are more dissolved organics in the water before churning idol again?

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But do you really have to have the demand for it. Is there a downside to your skimmer churning idol and only skimming when there are more dissolved organics in the water before churning idol again?
+1 Iron, that's the #2 of this conversation, demand being #1. But if you are well stocked, feed often, then bigger than needed Skimmer is the best reason to have the over-kill. I went that route, and in my opinion, the bigger is better, quality counts too. I went with Reef Octopus 2000.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is probably the most over rated piece of equipment still used in current reef tanks. Many reefers don't even bother with them as they've discovered they really aren't needed.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, 100% Correct, demand, here comes the over-kill.
I have a boat, 26 Downeaster, lets go fishing and ponder such thoughts!

Sounds like a plan!

It can take a little while to build a foam head, so you do lose out on some time and efficiency. :)

The skimmer is probably the most over rated piece of equipment still used in current reef tanks. Many reefers don't even bother with them as they've discovered they really aren't needed.

Are you referring to folks switching to algae turf scrubbers?

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This is an old debate and many have tried going skimmerless, including me. Initially the response from corals look better with higher nutrient but eventually nitrates and phosphates become unmanageable. By that time STN has already started....

There are some experts (Steve Tyree being one of them) who has specialized filterarion system(all kinds sponges, filter feeders...) that can manage a moderately loaded DT without food skimmer. This is not something for average and advanced reefer(only experts).

Sam

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to get the biggest skimmer I can afford and fit in the sump. IMO feed heavy - skim heavy is the way to go. :)

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running skimmerless for over 8 years. Nitrates are very low due to a DSB and quality live rock. Phosphates are easily controlled using GFO and a little macro algae.

I've been hearing about all these long term problems and "unmanageable " conditions for decades. Overfeeding your tank and then running an oversized piece of equipment (which has been proven to be very inefficient) seems silly. Keeping food in the water column seems more natural and leads to healthier corals.

It's no wonder the skimmerless team crushed the skimmer team in the recent PC Rainbow acro growout challenge. Maybe it's time for a new contest?

ATS? Those look like more trouble than they're worth. I imagine they strip the water of many beneficial elements as well. I prefer my APS system (acropora polyp scrubber)...

Last edited:

Sean Warden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think it is better to err on the side of larger.

I find it interesting that we all look for ways to micro manage our systems, and even with all of the various equipment options, commercially marketed additives, and fads generated through individual experimentation and posted on forums, there is never an absolute. Each system is unique, and at the end of the day it is ultimately about balance, and how it is achieved boils down to, cost, effort and individual preference.

Just my $0.02.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice video!

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own skimmers. Bottle bubble trap and a wooden air stone and is tunable. Currently it's intank but making for insump for my change 2 the 75g. Current is HOB. But I run my skimmer only after I feed for a few hours at night.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always a fun debate : ) and great video.

I have always found the issue with skimmers is neck diameter. If you rate a skimmer for up to a 150g bioload and throw a 5" diameter neck on it, your going to have some problems. Quite a few have made this error in the past 10yrs.

StephO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how it can be too large?? Mine is substantially large for tank and I've had no problems. It works better than my smaller one. I had 1st made my own with a air stone and bottle and it worked but did NOT work nowhere well enough for the tank. You don't see the difference until you switch. A power head is MUCH more powerful than a little air stone.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an old debate and many have tried going skimmerless, including me. Initially the response from corals look better with higher nutrient but eventually nitrates and phosphates become unmanageable. By that time STN has already started....

There are some experts (Steve Tyree being one of them) who has specialized filterarion system(all kinds sponges, filter feeders...) that can manage a moderately loaded DT without food skimmer. This is not something for average and advanced reefer(only experts).

Sam

Thanks for sharing! What are you running nowadays?

I like to get the biggest skimmer I can afford and fit in the sump. IMO feed heavy - skim heavy is the way to go. :)

Tough to argue with that!

My tank has been running skimmerless for over 8 years. Nitrates are very low due to a DSB and quality live rock. Phosphates are easily controlled using GFO and a little macro algae.

I've been hearing about all these long term problems and "unmanageable " conditions for decades. Overfeeding your tank and then running an oversized piece of equipment (which has been proven to be very inefficient) seems silly. Keeping food in the water column seems more natural and leads to healthier corals.

It's no wonder the skimmerless team crushed the skimmer team in the recent PC Rainbow acro growout challenge. Maybe it's time for a new contest?

ATS? Those look like more trouble than they're worth. I imagine they strip the water of many beneficial elements as well. I prefer my APS system (acropora polyp scrubber)...

Hey, if you start selling frags of your Acropora Polyp Scrubber, count me in. ;)

Personally, I think it is better to err on the side of larger.

I find it interesting that we all look for ways to micro manage our systems, and even with all of the various equipment options, commercially marketed additives, and fads generated through individual experimentation and posted on forums, there is never an absolute. Each system is unique, and at the end of the day it is ultimately about balance, and how it is achieved boils down to, cost, effort and individual preference.

Just my $0.02.

Agreed! Everything will vary from tank to tank, but there is a general theme a lot of reefers can follow that will help them be succesful. You just need to ad-lib sometimes when a situation arises. :)

Nice video!

Thanks! :D

I make my own skimmers. Bottle bubble trap and a wooden air stone and is tunable. Currently it's intank but making for insump for my change 2 the 75g. Current is HOB. But I run my skimmer only after I feed for a few hours at night.

Awesome, I love DIY!

Always a fun debate : ) and great video.

I have always found the issue with skimmers is neck diameter. If you rate a skimmer for up to a 150g bioload and throw a 5" diameter neck on it, your going to have some problems. Quite a few have made this error in the past 10yrs.

Thanks, Luke! I agree, neck diameter is an important factor.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back