Concerned about my anemone :(

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was not my intent or anyone else's to seem critical, I'm sure everyone's concern was for the anemone long term given the information from your posts.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you cannot afford the black box now, try selling some things you have lying around your house or give the anemone to a local reefer who can hold it for you until you get the lights. I also think the anemone can not survive without sufficient lights till mid March!

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait really?................ I guess I didn't know nems did that

Yep my anemone was attacked by something when I was on vacation, died then made the entire tank milky white had to shut down the entire system. But I agree the nem needs a better light ASAP

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here white tank of death. Lost 2 tangs 1 clown, dottyback, few chromis, other fish I can't remember. Tons of zoa and paly,acros, millie, digi, acans, some unique pieces. They were healthy I was moving and left the tank for 2 days kinda running on it's own came back on second day with my buckets and big cooler for my fish and coral and looked over. White cloudy tank and death. So freaking sad.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here white tank of death. Lost 2 tangs 1 clown, dottyback, few chromis, other fish I can't remember. Tons of zoa and paly,acros, millie, digi, acans, some unique pieces. They were healthy I was moving and left the tank for 2 days kinda running on it's own came back on second day with my buckets and big cooler for my fish and coral and looked over. White cloudy tank and death. So freaking sad.

Sorry to hear about your losses, anemones are cool but can be a huge blow to your tank if they die

OP
OP
crobs808

crobs808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I definitely want what's best for the anemone. I love him!! I'll have the $200 to spend on Friday and will get the blackbox 300w shipped by Saturday or Sunday at the latest.

-EDIT-
Wait...is it best to get 2x 165watts and put them side by side or just one longer 300w?
Here's a video grab of my tank to get an idea of what I'm trying to light (using my powerheads to do some salt mixing in that 5gal bucket right now so things are messy)...

Screenshot_20200218-135254.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
crobs808

crobs808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, in case anyone was wondering, the anemone didn't make it (learning opportunity for me), but I'm setup for better success now in the future with my new light (ended up getting the Viparspectra 300w (Got good PAR values with 42% blue channel, 7% white, abt 8" above the water and 24" above the sandbed, runs 9am-9pm, opposite my Algae Reactor light)...LOVE it!

Screenshot_20200229-151017.png

IMG_20200228_180652.jpg

Thank you all for the wisdom. Think I'm going to stick to soft corals...too many risks and stress with anemones potentially releasing toxins, or getting shredded up after being sucked into a power head....no thanks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back