Concerning coral discoloration

I need to know the brand of your NH3/NH4 measuring kit. They often give false readings. we do not need good - we need numbers

Sincerely Lasse
Sorry i forgot to post that- it’s an API master test kit.
 
Not much we can do to help if you don't post your full water parameters...

However, I skimmed through your build thread and didn't see anything about cycling other than adding the rock in. If you do not have a population of nitrifying bacteria (to run your nitrogen cycle), your ammonia levels will always raise to toxic levels.

IMO, if you have zero nitrites and nitrates but a high level of ammonia, your tank did not cycle. All of your livestock are little ammonia factories, and there is essentially nothing in your tank that is removing it other than your water changes which do not seem to be frequent enough to combat the ammonia spikes.
I have live rock and sand—is that not truly enough? Should I buy a bottle of nitrifying bacteria to aid my problem?
 
The good news is that my original leather coral is coming back after a week of being all closed up, thanks to its new location. I’ve also noticed my emerald crab likes to pick on the Xenia—could he be stressing the corals out? He started when I removed the hair algae from the tank. How do I stop him?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new