Concerns and questions about new MP10s

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got two MP10s for Christmas and I was thrilled. I really wanted these and thought they would really improve my reef. But after setting them up I have some concerns.

So I have a 40 breeder with an Icecap gyre 100. I liked this pump at first when I got it, but I started on 30% and now run 100%. Yes I have cleaned it. I dislike the flow on the end with the pump. It's very minimal but it does reach the other end of the tank really well. I wanted the two MP10s thinking I could get better flow at both ends and more random flow.

So I set the pumps opposing each other and they are running anti sync at the moment. I'm disappointed they don't seem to reach the other end of the tank very well, even with just one at 100%. Running opposed I get good flow in the middle but minimal at the ends. Am I missing something here?

I'm also running them close to max and thought I wouldn't need to go that high. Maybe I just need to play with it.

So they are on reef Crest right now. I tried the auto wave and two things... 1 sometimes the pumps would get a lot of vibration and shake apart, and 2 when I got them working well the dry sides got really hot after a little bit. Is this normal?

Overall I'm not as happy as I thought I would be. Disappointed that they dont easily reach the other size. Maybe the flow is just a lot more gentle than the gyre. I'm more impressed with the gyre power now. My tank is mostly LPS and some softies (GSP, zoas, mushrooms). Any tips or things I should try?

Thanks.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First vortech question always is: did you follow the instructions for the correct spacer?

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run both mp10 's and the gyre.
There are quite a few configurations that work well depending upon your aquascape.

I happen to love the combo of vortec and gyre.

Lots of ramdom flow without having to blast everything full blast.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I also got a single MP10 for xmas, and am running it on a 6ft long 125. Mine doesn't shake, or get hot at all. Running it at 60% and I get decent flow in the middle, and a little bit of movement at the far end. It almost sounds like your motor isn't aligned well with the wet side?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back