Conch snail rapid growth

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a conch snail to my 25G reef 3 weeks ago. Up until yesterday it sat buried in the substrate and apart from it eyes I wouldn’t see it. Yesterday I did a water change and it finally decided to come out... and it has DOUBLED in size! Is this normal? Thanks

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you mean a fighting conch(most typical conch found in the hobby). I think you might be mistaken, they take up to 5 years to get their maximum size of 4 to 5 inches. They are not fast growers.

Think my fighting conch has been with me about 4 years now and has only grown about an inch or 2(pretty sure mine is an adult now).

OP
OP
Noah Hemingway

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you mean a fighting conch(most typical conch found in the hobby). I think you might be mistaken, they take up to 5 years to get their maximum size of 4 to 5 inches. They are not fast growers.

Think my fighting conch has been with me about 4 years now and has only grown about an inch or 2(pretty sure mine is an adult now).
It’s not a fighting conch it’s a sand sifting conch

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back