Conflicting results using red sea alkalinity test

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help please, I have 2 red sea alkalinity test kits. One kit is the pro kit and the other is the regular marine kit. The alk test in the marine kit is giving me a result of 9.5 and the pro kit is giving me a result of 7. Im starting to dose and I'm not sure which one to go with. I tried each kit multiple times and getting the same results. The marine kit you count the drops and the pro kit you see how much titration was used from the syringe also going by the last ring on the plunger and not the actual titration level. Does anyone have any idea why the results are so different?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help please, I have 2 red sea alkalinity test kits. One kit is the pro kit and the other is the regular marine kit. The alk test in the marine kit is giving me a result of 9.5 and the pro kit is giving me a result of 7. Im starting to dose and I'm not sure which one to go with. I tried each kit multiple times and getting the same results. The marine kit you count the drops and the pro kit you see how much titration was used from the syringe also going by the last ring on the plunger and not the actual titration level. Does anyone have any idea why the results are so different?
Is there an accuracy and resolution spec you can tell us on each?

Are any expired?

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell you which will be more accurate to the actual level of alk, but honestly consistency is really what your after. If they both are consistent with the readings after multiple tests and your tanks doing well either is good enough.

i use Red Sea pro personally and I like it just fine. Easy to do, quick, easy to read, and consistent

OP
OP
ReefOnTheBayou

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither is expired. The bottle in the red sea set expires on 09/22 and the bottle in the red sea pro kit expires on 03/23.

The marine 0.25°kh (0.09 meg/l) for 0.5 kh resolution.
The pro is resolution 0.05 meg/l (0.14dkh)

Thanks

OP
OP
ReefOnTheBayou

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell you which will be more accurate to the actual level of alk, but honestly consistency is really what your after. If they both are consistent with the readings after multiple tests and your tanks doing well either is good enough.

i use Red Sea pro personally and I like it just fine. Easy to do, quick, easy to read, and consistent
I understand that consistency is key but I'm just starting to dose and would like to soon venture into sps. The corals I have now may be fine at 7 or 9.5 whichever is it depending on what test you look at but I'm afraid future additions to the tank may not. I would like to find the correct dkh and keep it there, then at that point I can focus on consistency.

I'm puzzled that 2 test kits made by the same company for the same element is that different.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're reading the syringe on the pro correctly? You subtract the reading from 1 then use the results to look up the dKh. I use the Hanna syringes for that reason. lol

OP
OP
ReefOnTheBayou

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're reading the syringe on the pro correctly? You subtract the reading from 1 then use the results to look up the dKh. I use the Hanna syringes for that reason. lol
As far as I know I am. I put the syringe in the titration draw to the 1ml mark then dispense the titration until I get the stop green color then see how much titration I used by reading the bottom of plunger. The plunger stops on 4.6 which means 5.4 titration used which is 7.6 dkh. The other test using the drops is 19 drops 9.5 dkh.

OP
OP
ReefOnTheBayou

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have been open? I have found they last month when open.
I open the titration but close soon as I draw the solution. I never leave them open. The red sea marine kit is 2 months old the pro kit is brand new. There is no way it only last a month, if so I can't afford new test kit every month. I must not understand something bc I thought that last a lot longer.

OP
OP
ReefOnTheBayou

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to call red sea today and see if they can help. If I get no help there I will just have to buy a third kit is all thats to it. I hate to buy a third kit but I guess a man's got to do what a man's got to do. I guess if that comes to be my decision is going to be do I get a cheap salient test just to see which red sea if closer or do I go with the Hannah?

OP
OP
ReefOnTheBayou

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my answer! The pro kit is the correct kit and its on the money!

This morning I figured out that red sea was closed due to holiday so I knew I was on my own!

I don't stop to I get results and on a mission I was. I could have easily bought a 3rd kit but who would have known if that one was right.

I found a formula to make my own 8.1 dkh reference solution.

You make a solution 250ml of rodi water to 3 grams of baking soda. Then take 5ml of that solution and mix it with rodi to 250ml again ans you have yourself 8.1 dkh reference solution.

The red sea marine kit red 10dkh and the red sea pro was on the money at 8.1.

I can now start dosing!

Thanks to everyone who replied trying to help me, I appreciate it!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 46 32.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back