Confused about the different algae and bacteria growth

nikki7181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read so many contradictory things. Do dinos and cyano come from low or high phosphates and nitrates? I'm not sure how to diagnose any of the growth in my tank accept coraline algae (which I have in spades). I've battled high nitrates the whole time the tank has had occupants, but all other parameters look good.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read so many contradictory things. Do dinos and cyano come from low or high phosphates and nitrates? I'm not sure how to diagnose any of the growth in my tank accept coraline algae (which I have in spades). I've battled high nitrates the whole time the tank has had occupants, but all other parameters look good.
I think dinos come more from a lack of diversity of bacteria. Back in the old days (for me that was the late 90s) when I started into reef tanks, dinos were not a problem. Most of us started our tanks with live rock however. That probably gave us a good jump on diversity of biolife. I got dinos in my sump when I was overly aggressive with water changes for my seahorses. I beat them by cutting down on the water changes, adding pods to the system, cutting back the photo phase and dosing seachem stability.

I do remember cyano though. It was a maroon carpet over everything when the nitrates/phosphates were out of control from over feeding. Usually cutting down the food fixed the issue.

It's all about achieving balance, which can be tricky especially in newly set up aquariums.

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think dinos come more from a lack of diversity of bacteria. Back in the old days (for me that was the late 90s) when I started into reef tanks, dinos were not a problem. Most of us started our tanks with live rock however. That probably gave us a good jump on diversity of biolife. I got dinos in my sump when I was overly aggressive with water changes for my seahorses. I beat them by cutting down on the water changes, adding pods to the system, cutting back the photo phase and dosing seachem stability.

I do remember cyano though. It was a maroon carpet over everything when the nitrates/phosphates were out of control from over feeding. Usually cutting down the food fixed the issue.

It's all about achieving balance, which can be tricky especially in newly set up aquariums.

Totally agree with you :cool:
however having tank going downhill, covered with cyano, gha, could startled new reefers, making them nervous and dosing many chemicals for quick fix.
Little that we know by having cyano and gha they actually help with biodiversity to avoid dino.

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Start by taking picture. Then after some time, take again new pictures and compare with old ones.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back