Confusion on Return Pumps

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my head this makes sense but in practice it does not seem to be working.

On my 60 gallon cube I run 1 Vectra S2 at 100% and it is the perfect fit. So when I set my 144 up I decided to use 2 Vectra S2s. In my head I believe I should be able to run both of these at 100% with no issues.

Well it turns out this is not the case. Running both of them at 100% it my return chamber and filter socks turn into a skimmer of sorts with it continually creating bubbles.

Can anyone enlighten me on why I need to keep these pumps at about 30% to prevent this. In my head this would work out to 60% on a single which is less than I am running on my other tank. So confused.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drains on the 144 are pushing a lot more air. What did you do different at the top of them. Thats where the air goes in.
Good call, and bottom could be lacking a gate valve where the other tank didn’t need it to get a full siphon without air

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I be looking for. Plumbing issue could be many things.
The way you set up your drains. What type like durso or herbie.
the durso is common and they can run quiet but at lower gph. The herbie utilizes a gate valve to achieve full siphon with zero air going to the main drain

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 1400gph return pumps sound like extreme overkill on a 144g tank. You're probably overworking the overflows or don't have them tuned in correctly. I aim for 2-3x turnover through my sump which would only be 300-400 gph on your tank.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then on your last set up the pump power matched the drain rate better then this new set up. Your new pump is faster then your drains gph.
And the durso doesn’t give you much adjustment room, they have a certain speed that you have to tune them to so you don’t get too much air mixing with the water on the way down.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back