Connect Frag Tank to Main System?

AudreyG

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2020
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have a tiny 10 gallon aquarium that I previously used for freshwater, but decided that it might make a decent frag tank. My main system is 75 gallons with a 15 gallon sump and my original idea was just to have the 10 next to the 75 with a siphon going from my main tank to the 10 and another siphon going from the 10 to my sump. After two hours of finicky crimping and adding siphon hoses, I finally got the input siphon at the same flow rate as my two output siphons. However, this whole system is under the careful balance of gravity and if something before clogged or fails (which of course it will) then my dining room gets flooded or the frag tank gets drained. I need a better solution to having the two systems connected so I can have the benefit of the added water volume and one filtration method that won’t have me panicking every time I leave the house. Has anyone successfully done this and how? Thanks!
 
Ok, so I have a tiny 10 gallon aquarium that I previously used for freshwater, but decided that it might make a decent frag tank. My main system is 75 gallons with a 15 gallon sump and my original idea was just to have the 10 next to the 75 with a siphon going from my main tank to the 10 and another siphon going from the 10 to my sump. After two hours of finicky crimping and adding siphon hoses, I finally got the input siphon at the same flow rate as my two output siphons. However, this whole system is under the careful balance of gravity and if something before clogged or fails (which of course it will) then my dining room gets flooded or the frag tank gets drained. I need a better solution to having the two systems connected so I can have the benefit of the added water volume and one filtration method that won’t have me panicking every time I leave the house. Has anyone successfully done this and how? Thanks!
Tie the 10 g to the sump just like the 75
Drill the 10 and put a bulkhead and overflow weir and return pump in.
You have a great idea, this will work
I did this 75g dt + 20 slave to 25 sump.
 
Check out my build thread. i did this with my frag tank and it's been working great. Basically just treat it like another display tank and plumb it to your sump. the tank will need drilled through so it can have an overflow. Never rely on a siphon to drain a tank! As you mentioned, it will clog and cause a flood in no time.

If going through all of the trouble, I might suggest also considering a bigger frag tank? Depends on what you want to use it for of course, but I always find my frag tanks are full and have nowhere to put more frags. I am sort of addicted through. I'm adding another 60 gallon frag tank that I'm picking up this weekend :) I'll have 3 tanks all plumed into the same sump, and a section of the sump is used as a frag tank as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new