Connecting Main Display Tank to 10g Refugium Tank Below-Need help on Pumps & Correct Pipes

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am looking at an idea to setup a 10g long refugium with my 20G high that is already established May 2022. I just use an hob filter with a sponge filter when I feed live BBS in my main tank. I'm needing help with how to select a pump strong enough to reach the top tank to feed the tank with copepods. I'm assuming it needs to be submersible but not sure what to look for that it won't clean out the whole refugium. Also, I'm not very good at pluming but my dad would likely help me construct it with good directions. My biggest concern is what size pump can I use to get a steady supply of copepods into my main tank without causing overflow? I want to avoid drilling the tank as much as possible. Can anyone help me with this project? Is there something I can install like a sensor that might prevent the overflow if something were to happen? I'm looking into an ATO in general but that's generally separate. I'm just looking at hob options. I would absolutely be interested in getting into beginner frags/corals but that's an added bonus to prepare for as well. I

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, I am looking at an idea to setup a 10g long refugium with my 20G high that is already established May 2022. I just use an hob filter with a sponge filter when I feed live BBS in my main tank. I'm needing help with how to select a pump strong enough to reach the top tank to feed the tank with copepods. I'm assuming it needs to be submersible but not sure what to look for that it won't clean out the whole refugium. Also, I'm not very good at pluming but my dad would likely help me construct it with good directions. My biggest concern is what size pump can I use to get a steady supply of copepods into my main tank without causing overflow? I want to avoid drilling the tank as much as possible. Can anyone help me with this project? Is there something I can install like a sensor that might prevent the overflow if something were to happen? I'm looking into an ATO in general but that's generally separate. I'm just looking at hob options. I would absolutely be interested in getting into beginner frags/corals but that's an added bonus to prepare for as well. I
In this case - a picture is worth a thousand words - can you post what you're planning?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back