Connecting Vectra M1 to flexible hosing...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

lyrical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's the easiest way to accomplish this? My current return pump uses flexible hosing to connect back to my tank so I would like to use this same method if possible. I watched your videos and searched for an answer but could not find it.

rsav

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used superglue to connect the hose to the blue 'end cap' that ecotech provides. Then screwed down the main blue 'cover'.

Remember to put the large blue piece that screws down on the hose first before gluing the end cap on the hose.

A compression fitting type solution would have made this much easier for everyone rather than having to glue the end piece .

OP
OP
lyrical

lyrical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I was hoping for and I missed it but it sounds like there isn't. Oh well thanks for the replies guys :)

RJAllen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys
The supplied blue compression union narrows the outflow on the M1 to 3/4". All flow numbers published about the Vectra pumps are WITHOUT these unions. Your flow will be choked down before you get to your return lines and you will be nowhere near 3000 gph. Without the unions the outflow is 1.25". Unfortunately, the threads are British Standard Threads and are considered incompatible with our NPT. You can force NPT 1.25" adapters on but will damage the thread patterns. Ecotech does have a 1.25 BST to slip adapter listed in their parts inventory. I do know BRS also carries this adapter and was used in their demo tank. I use it along with a union and reduce the line to 1" [existing plumbing]. I use silicon tubing to attach to hard plumbed returns. Works great.

For those interested, I have a 4.5 rise and a 1" lines with one elbow and a "y" check valve. The line is split to 2 3/4" lines. Measured flow with my M1 at the return nozzles is 1450 gph. I am sure the flow would increase is I upgraded to 1.25" lines but then I would have to replace quite a bit of equipment.

RJ

Ligershark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the adapters from ecotech. They are using spears brand pvc adapters. I ordered mine from BRS for my L1 and the part numbers are embossed on the adapters. I do not know the part numbers for the M1. They are spears British Standard Pipe to National Standard Pipe adapters.

A quick google search of the part numbers and I was able to find them online for a buck and change each shipped. After spending hundreds on the pump I didnt mind the additional $10.

RJAllen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the adapters from ecotech. They are using spears brand pvc adapters. I ordered mine from BRS for my L1 and the part numbers are embossed on the adapters. I do not know the part numbers for the M1. They are spears British Standard Pipe to National Standard Pipe adapters.

A quick google search of the part numbers and I was able to find them online for a buck and change each shipped. After spending hundreds on the pump I didnt mind the additional $10.

+++1
First, good lick on the google serial numbers. Secondly, for those who don't know, the adapters at Ecotech are packaged as a kit with both an intake and the outflow. I was one of the first to get these adapters, bought them from Ecotech. Told BRS about them, bought my Vertex from them. They then ordered them for their customers.

RJ

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used rigid for a few inches to a check valve then went to spa flex. Worked out well.

thanhreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something like this
fmiKFjH.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It would have been MUCH easier if ecotech offered a simple female barb fitting or a female quick connect (watts/john guest) fitting.

I was talking with a reefer on another board yesterday and he said he had heard that EcoTech was going to come out with a hose barb fitting that connected to BST.
Might be something to watch for soon, or even call them directly for first hand information.

RJAllen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking with a reefer on another board yesterday and he said he had heard that EcoTech was going to come out with a hose barb fitting that connected to BST.
Might be something to watch for soon, or even call them directly for first hand information.

I too have heard about a possible barb fitting in the works. It is mentioned as a possibility in the Jake Adams interview on Reef Builders. I get the impression, however, the barb fitting will work in conjunction with the 3/4"[M1 ] compression fitting- The blue fittings supplied with the pumps. This will make a bad restriction worse as it will give the M1 an effective outflow opening of just over 1/2". Those blue fitting are quite striking but the simple adapters allow the users to have the widest options for flow.

RJ

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Those blue fitting are quite striking but the simple adapters allow the users to have the widest options for flow.

RJ

Thanks for bringing that up here.

I just bought a L1 and the optional pvc adapters and was planning out my plumbing to hook up to my existing 1-1/2" pvc closed loop system.
My first thought was to use the blue fittings on both the suction and outflow ( for looks) . But when you mentioned the restriction I measured the fittings and sure enough the outflow on the L1 would be narrowed down to 1", from the pumps 1-1/4" opening.
By using the pvc adapter, the opening goes right into a 1-1/2" pipe, which in theory adds flow.
Not sure if I am going to use the blue fitting on the suction side. It would be nice as it eliminates the bulky looking pvc ( BST to pvc slip) adapter, plus the reducing fitting I would have to add to get to the 1-1/2" existing pvc size. Plus I am going to have to figure out what pvc glue is going to work with the blue fitting.

RJAllen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for bringing that up here.

I just bought a L1 and the optional pvc adapters and was planning out my plumbing to hook up to my existing 1-1/2" pvc closed loop system.
My first thought was to use the blue fittings on both the suction and outflow ( for looks) . But when you mentioned the restriction I measured the fittings and sure enough the outflow on the L1 would be narrowed down to 1", from the pumps 1-1/4" opening.
By using the pvc adapter, the opening goes right into a 1-1/2" pipe, which in theory adds flow.
Not sure if I am going to use the blue fitting on the suction side. It would be nice as it eliminates the bulky looking pvc ( BST to pvc slip) adapter, plus the reducing fitting I would have to add to get to the 1-1/2" existing pvc size. Plus I am going to have to figure out what pvc glue is going to work with the blue fitting.

I would bite the bullet and go with the bulky adapters. Most "flow" experts say intake restriction is far more likely to affect a pump's performance on the inflow side.

On the outflow side pumps designed as "high pressure" can overcome somewhat restricted outflow by increasing pressure and may even give a pump higher head height but it really does not increase flow.
DC pumps we see in our hobby are not high pressure pumps although Eco Tech has hinted a slightly restricted outflow "may" increase head height.

Restricted intake only degrades a pump's performance so I would go with the native intake diameter or greater.

I found out that EcoTech recommends ABS glue for use with the blue fittings.

The glue/solvent companies have information on their websites. I think they list their "general purpose" solvents for use to weld PVC to ABS. I have done it with bulkheads and they seem to hold just fine. Should be okay for intake side. Outflow side might be more problematic due to higher pressures involved. I do know some building code prohibit direct attachment PVC/ ABS. From my readings it seems these codes do not reflect the development of the newer solvents and may be out of date. However, I would not want to fight out of date codes in court. That is the advantage of threaded ports.

One final thing about the British Standard Thread- BST [or British Standard Pipe Thread- BSPT- I believe these are the same]. Unlike our NPT tapered threads, They are designed to be screwed completely closed and be "dead" tight. I was taught to use food grade silicone grease [not plumbers paste or silicone tape] lightly coating the threads. The grease helps making water tight connection and also make it far easier to unscrew the connection.

RJ

OP
OP
lyrical

lyrical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So any updates on this lately or the barbed fitting? Still interested in connecting one to a 1" barbed hose return fitting with flexible tubing.

OP
OP
lyrical

lyrical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they are on the EcoTech website store.

Yes they are thank you very much :) Do you happen to know if you still have to buy the slip adapter kit or if they fit into the BSPT fitting?

Thanks a lot!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yes they are thank you very much :) Do you happen to know if you still have to buy the slip adapter kit or if they fit into the BSPT fitting?

Thanks a lot!
I don't know for sure, but it looks like they inside threads, which I am assuming they are BST and will screw directly to the pump.
If I were to order them, I would call and ask when ordering. Not just order on the website.

OP
OP
lyrical

lyrical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I will I also need to know if they will fit an 1" ID hose as well. Thanks again for the info!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back