Consider a modular aquascape for your seahorses!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I am sure you are thinking, what in the world is a modular aquascape? I never heard of that! Neither have I, I just made up that term to describe what I do with my seahorse tank.

You see my aquascape revolves around 2 large pieces of LR that I have had for probably 15 years. Those rocks have been in 4 different tanks and because I am frugal, I keep using them. They are also very heavy and dense so I believe that they help with denitrification which is beneficial. I like their shapes and I can use them as 2 separate pieces or I can link them together as 1 unit. Over the years they have some coral that have migrated onto them or some coral that I permanently attached to them but most of those are on sheer upright areas. On the flat surface areas I have always placed coral colonies, or a collection of frag corals that I had attached to a flatish rock. That way I can move sections around easily, but snails (even large turbos) don't dislodge them.

Now you ask why would I want to move a section of my coral? Well, it comes in handy when transferring from one tank to another and I did confess to doing that multiple times. However in a seahorse tank it also helps with husbandry. I can lift a section of coral and blow detritus out from under it. I can temporarily move the section into a bucket with water from a WC and remove pests like bubble algae. (Of course I am sure that I am the only one propagating that! LOL). Then there is the 'I am bored with my tank and it needs a make over' to rekindle my interest. A total re-scape is possible and actually easy if you have a bb as well. I have probably done 8 to 10 re-scapes since I set this tank up in November. That was not because I got bored that often but more due to me going after debris and detritus to syphon out and moving sections to do a more effective job. Of course then I could never get it back together the way it was. I eventually learned to revel in enjoying new scapes frequently. Scaping on the fly is an art that gets perfected as one does it more frequently. I learned to do that way back in the day when I maintenanced tanks for folks and bleached a portion of their stoney corals and then had to re-scape. I was terrified at first to take any of their tank scape apart but over time I learned to enjoy putting together a new scape. It really can help you feel like the tank has a fresh look along with giving it a deep clean.

Anyway, its an idea that you can ponder and decide if its something you would consider.

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally! Someone who speaks my language! I've always concerned myself with moving things around for a few reasons but, that doesn't stop me. I too get "bored" with my aquascape. I have a tank recently cycled and I haven't "attached" any of my coral or rocks together. I'm 'not quite satisfied" with how it looks. I am currently on the fence with going BB. Kicking myself for not considering this sooner so I could have painted the bottom with a "sandscape" paint. BTW, I LOVE your honorary Adam tank, Dawn!

Back