considering a plywood tank build, help please!

Vance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm toying around with the idea of building a plywood tank with 2 viewing sides, instead of buying a full glass tank for my next upgrade and was wondering what you guys think?

The space I have to fill is 84"x50" including bracing and all other structural elements. I would really like the front panel of glass to be around 30"-32" high and as long as I can get in this space, i assume around 70"? Would this be possible with starfire glass? Garfs online calculators have a recommendation not to go over 24" high with this sort of length.

Any help is appreciated!!!

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Go to YouTube and search diy plywood tank and there is a complete series on that exact topic. I think it is by a guy called mr. Diy good watch.
Nitro

OP
OP
Vance

Vance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 3/4" for leaded should be okay? Step up to 1" for starfire as long as i don't have water deeper than 30"? I do plan on having center bracing.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random thoughts...

A while back (30 years?) there was a marine grade plywood that was the preferred plywood for tanks. I recollect the manufacturer used epoxy to glue the plys together.

The interior of most wooden tanks are coated with epoxy paint. I think you'll find that urchins can chew through the epoxy layer.

I believe that Formica has been used to line wooden tanks. Comes in a variety of colors. It reduces the chances of leaks, where only the tank corners become possible origins for a leak. Of course it could crack if a tank bowed excessively - but so could epoxy.

Lastly, I don't think plywood tanks have much of a life expectancy. I have two O'Dell glass tanks, a 65 and a 95, that are each 35 years old and still in service. You'll never get that longevity from plywood tanks.

If you live anywhere near a public/commercial aquarium, you might want to attempt to pick their brains. I've been on behind-the-scenes tours of the Brooklyn Aquarium (where I saw wooden tanks) and I've talked my way behind-the-scenes at another.

Good luck...

OP
OP
Vance

Vance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the tips radiata! I work in the boating industry so marine grade plywood shouldn't be to hard to find.

I was planning on fiberglass cloth and resin to reinforce and seal with some sort of seal coat on top of that. Don't think a gel coat would have the durability though... d@*m! That would sure make it easy if it did! Sure an urchin could still wear any of those down. And was already planning on sanding a resealing after about 10 years of use.

Still a little apprehensive about glass panel though. Some calculators tell me 3/4 inch has a safety rating of 3.8 and others (like garf) wont do the calculations for that water depth. Tank will have 4" euro bracing on top spaced ~ 2' apart. Does anyone have any experience with glass?

OP
OP
Vance

Vance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my question is; do I need two panels of glass in the front? Or can I get away with one? Length roughly 76" water height 30"

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you absolutely sold on a plywood tank and 2 viewing windows? If not you can try one of these tanks(link is below). I plan on buying one this summer for my next build, free shipping and only $70 crating charge. Not too bad of a price either. And there's a 10% off promo code on their website. You could spruce up the outside with wood to make it look real nice.
http://pentairaes.com/fiberglass-tanks-with-window.html

Epicreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built a plywood tank in the past and currently build large glass tanks. You will be fine with 3/4" glass in those dimensions, doesn't matter if it's green glass or starphire. After having built both types of tanks I would build in all glass. It can be a real PITA to seal the window into the tank, and it's not that much more. You would be looking at $1200-1500 for the plywood tank and $2000 for the glass in materials.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had planned and sourced star fire glass at the 30" height. Tank was 8' long and was only 3/4" thick. You should be fine there

I planned a epoxy paint over a fiberglass layer. If I can find pics I will post them. But I biscut joined all edges and used a 4*4 cut at a 45 angle for corners. Use small bumpers, like for cabinet doors to space out the glass and lower onto those after applying caulk.

OP
OP
Vance

Vance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, that eases my mind quite a bit. I'm much more confident in my wood skills than glass skills.

Ryan, what epoxy did you use? Thats an awesome idea for the corners! Thank you, I hate the square framing look all around the seams inside the tank.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 29 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%

Back