Considering getting a very large aquarium have a few question

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of luck I have found a fairly large aquarium when I say large I mean 10x5x5. 3 sides are metal and the front is glass. What would a tank like this cost to have made? It's something I'm gonna get and stash for a while untill I get my addition built onto my house. Price is fairly reasonable so I'm thinking bout getting it. I know electricity ect is gonna be though the roof to set it up huge amount of money spent on lighting it comes with a return pump but it sure it's outdated by now. Is there anything I should worry about as far as we're the metal and glass meet. I can't say that Iv ever built a tank so not really sure what to look for.

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I would get something like that without having it thoroughly checked out by someone who knows their stuff. Checking welds, dimensions, corrosion, etc. If it's cheap and the glass in good condition maybe it's worth getting just for the front glass?

Is it just a metal sheet between the water and the surroundings? That will leak a lot of heat from the water (or to the water) so adding some insulation would probably be good. In a way that won't trap any moisture and risk corrosion of the steel frame.

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good points room will have radiant heating and a titanium coil hooked to my hot water heater is the only way to heat it in my opinion that's about all I have figured out Iv Set it up to look at Monday. I had planned on re epoxying the whole inside for sure

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since that has obviously been used as a reptile enclosure, I would make absolutely certain that it is truly waterproof. I agree on adding a layer of insulation to it as well. Structuraly it looks to be built to handle the pressure, but again if the original builder never intended for it to contain water, I would check it. Same goes for the glass. How thick is it and how is it attached to the metal part?

OP
OP
Bradw18

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1778.JPG Actually it was a fresh water tank with trout and bass is what the owner said. Has a filtration system big pump too diy as hell as far as filtration but I won't using it

IMG_1779.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back