Considering Kole Tang in 120 any tips?

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering a kole tang for my tank. Current inhabitants are:

YWG, 2 radial filefish, orchid dottyback, pintail fairy wrasses, am planning to add 2-3 more wrasses.

Any tips or pointers about kole tangs? I understand that this species can handle a 4’ tank, please let me know if this is incorrect.

I feed using LRS, I assume I will have to supplement wit different food?

Anything else I should be concerned with?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tang will be a great addition to a 120 gal, I have a spotted yellow eye tang, same species, in a 120 gal tank. Just make sure u feed seaweed sheets as they r hogs when it comes to eating. Good luck with the addition. Just make sure you QT the tang as their slime coat is thin making them great candidates for ick.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori is a staple of tang diet, bristletooth tangs may take a while to figure out what it is but it’s an important staple of their diet.

As mentioned, quarantining your fish is a must, they’re hardy once established but will likely succumb if not properly quarantined and maintained in a disease-free environment

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine attacks anything that eats algae......Blennys, angels, etc. Not sure if that is common or I just have one with an attitude :)

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a yellow eye kole tang in my 120 for about three years now. it is a model citizen. you might have an issue if you put another bristle tooth species in the tank with him, but other than that make sure you have enough algae for him to eat, whether it is growing in your tank or you feed nori, etc. Good luck! it is a beautiful fish.

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is a good source of nori? and i will be getting CP to use for quarantining

egwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine attacks anything that eats algae......Blennys, angels, etc. Not sure if that is common or I just have one with an attitude :)

Mine does as well. I made the beginner mistake of adding him second after my Clowns. I was told they are peaceful, but mine is very territorial. I then put a beautiful Bicolored angel in the tank, and the Kole Tang killed him in less than 24 hours. It mostly happened overnight. By the time I realized this aggression wasn't going to stop I went to the store to get a bag to transfer the Angel back to the store....and when I returned it was too late.

I have two clowns, royal gramma, and a banggai cardinal. My Kole gets along with all of them. After the Angel incident I have decided not to add anymore algae eaters.

I would recommend making sure you have two to three caves for the Kole to escape to. My Kole has two caves in my tank and when it's lights out he goes to them and sleeps all night.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering a kole tang for my tank. Current inhabitants are:

YWG, 2 radial filefish, orchid dottyback, pintail fairy wrasses, am planning to add 2-3 more wrasses.

Any tips or pointers about kole tangs? I understand that this species can handle a 4’ tank, please let me know if this is incorrect.

I feed using LRS, I assume I will have to supplement wit different food?

Anything else I should be concerned with?

I would add it last, since Tangs can be aggressive buttheads (especially to new additions). It should do fine in a 120 though.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back