Considering new seahorses tank

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know the dimensions of a biocube but a seahorse tank is best if it's height is 3 Xs the length of the seahorse so a 7" pony should have a 21" tall tank. A 29 gallon could keep 2 seahorses. It should have a minimum of 300 gph but 600 gph would be better. This is to keep particles in suspension. Its a myth that seahorses need low flow tanks, they need hitches in low, moderate and high flow so they can choose.
Live rock that is pest free is the bedrock of bilogical filtration. I think it is best scaped as a free standing structure and not touching the sides of the tank so excess food and detritus do not get trapped and fuel dangerous bacteria.
Another important aspect to seahorse keeping is maintaining water temperature of 70°- 74° to control pathogenic bacteria, which is probably the seahorse's biggest enemy. I don't know if biocubes have a hood with a light but most tanks like that, run too warm for seahorses.

OP
OP
100gallonreefer

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plenty of flow and live rock. Free standing is exactly how it's scaped. It's an extremely easy tank to keep clean. I put an "intank "media basket in filter compartment with poly filter pad, carbon and gfo which keeps water sparkling clear and nutrients very low. I'm in sw FL and keep house at 76-78 degrees year round . Problems I see are tank is only 16 inches high and temperature runs about 78 degrees . Chiller is an option but can't change height.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plenty of flow and live rock. Free standing is exactly how it's scaped. It's an extremely easy tank to keep clean. I put an "intank "media basket in filter compartment with poly filter pad, carbon and gfo which keeps water sparkling clear and nutrients very low. I'm in sw FL and keep house at 76-78 degrees year round . Problems I see are tank is only 16 inches high and temperature runs about 78 degrees . Chiller is an option but can't change height.
With a chiller the tank could probably work with a pair of hippocampus kuda, which grow to about 6". They are a little smaller than hippocampus erectus or hippocampus reidi. H kudas are shyer and can be more difficult to feed. Also beware that you are not purchasing a tank raised or net penned H kuda. The asian market sometimes sells this specie and they often arrive malnourished and sickly by the time they reach the lfs.

Back