Consolidating my aquariums

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
As a busy college student who now works a full time internship, having no time for my aquariums is both good and bad. On one hand, I can’t keep an eye on them throughout the week and get lots of anxiety because of it. On the other hand, I keep my hands out of the tanks and let them do their things! I have four aquariums, one 29 gallon biocube reef tank, a 29 gallon planted tank, a 7 gallon planted, and a 5.5 gallon planted. Because of the nature of freshwater planted tanks, the care for the three of them has been super easy. Obviously the reef is a different story but it has still managed to be very easy. Quickly, I am outgrowing this little 29 gallon reef. I am also starting to stress about my other tanks in that I can’t always be there for them. They aren’t suffering by any means, probably in a perpetual state of balance and happiness. However, the thought of having 4 tanks running at once just stresses me out.

To the meat and potatoes of this post—

I want to break everything down and sell it all off then move into one 75 gallon reef tank. This way I only have one tank, it’s a good size, and I am able to have some water volume on standby for minimal swings. I have all the necessary equipment and a tank on hand that someone wants to basically give to me or even trade all my freshwater stuff for. I would probably set it up with sand, water, and half a scape, then eventually move all of my coral from the BC to the 75. The tank is drilled with a sump and even a reef octopus skimmer. Lighting wise, I would probably just buy another Kessil A160WE and a gooseneck— run my old one next to it and call it a day. I even have an A80 I can put in between them. The 75 in question has been up for years but has a massive dino problem so I would probably just start it from scratch.

I want to know what your guys’ thoughts and opinions are on this plan. It would probably take a few months but I think it would be good for the long run. I don’t know what it’s like moving a tank that large but I’m sure it’s really not that difficult as people regularly move over 100 gallons.

Milliganj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving a tank isn't much fun but of course it's about the end goal. I had a severe case of multiple tank syndrome and reducing to a single display and a single QT tank actually improved my enjoyment of the hobby.

I sounds to me that it is probably something you have already considered alot but do take into account all the effort included when starting over.

Good luck

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Honestly I would get your life priorities in order. Reef tanks takes a lot of time, effort, amd money. Come back when you get it all sorted out for more enjoyable experience

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would get your life priorities in order. Reef tanks takes a lot of time, effort, amd money. Come back when you get it all sorted out for more enjoyable experience
It’s not that I’m not having a fun time, it’s just the multiple tank thing is getting me now. It seems like I really wanted a reef tank and should have done that before taking the vital steps to one. Starting with a small betta tank then moving towards the most difficult freshwater setups and then on. I can manage all these tanks now but I want to kinda consolidate everything now

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving a tank isn't much fun but of course it's about the end goal. I had a severe case of multiple tank syndrome and reducing to a single display and a single QT tank actually improved my enjoyment of the hobby.

I sounds to me that it is probably something you have already considered alot but do take into account all the effort included when starting over.

Good luck
Maybe I just take everything down except my reef and perhaps take this 75 and let it run for a really long time with only some fish or something until I am ready to fully commit. Who knows

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back