Constant Alarms from ATK?

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone with more apex experience than me can help, i set up an ATK this weekend, I followed the video instructions for Apex connected mode here: https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/atk-help/

I updated the module firmware before beginning, and did everything exactly like the video, the only thing that was different was that when it came time to select the sensors, the video shows Swx2_1 being highlighted by default for sensor 1. in mine Swx2_3 was highlighted by default, but i selected Swx2_1 to follow the video. the only other difference was in the video they had to manually add the tiles for the ATO for the desktop, i don't have to do that, they just showed up on the desktop themselves. i started getting about 1 alarm an hour right after i set it up, but it went absolutely nuts overnight and this morning. here are the 50 most recent of the 252 alarms i've received in a little more than 12 hours:

Apex 1.jpg
apex 2.jpg

around 7 am i manually set the ATO pump to off just because i was leaving the house and I'm paranoid about flooding. it hasn't changed anything, still alarms like crazy. i marked the ATO reservoir level with a post it note before i went to bed last night just to see if there was any water level changes. as of 645 when i left the house this morning the water level had not budged.

what did i do wrong and how do i fix it?

spifftempo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check that your optical sensor 2 is fully connected to your FMM module- it is likely making an intermittent connection. If that that does not resolve the issue confirm that port 2 is set as an Optical Sensor the the FMM module setup. To find that, simply click on the module icon, select the FMM module and turn off auto detection and set it manually to Optical sensor:

upload_2018-2-12_9-27-34.png

OP
OP
Dodgersfan

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the alarms just stopped around 930 yesterday morning and when i got home i checked all the connections and they were good, turned the ato pump back on on my apex dashboard and now it is working fine. so weird. could it have been that the firmware needed more time to update or something?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine does this occasionally. Usually something happened to make the water level raise above the safeguard sensor. I just turn off the ATK until it is below that sensor again (when it reports as open). I did have it happen once where the sensor needed cleaning and was reporting a false overfill (it just needed to be wiped off). The great thing about the ATK is that if you're using the float valve, it shouldn't be able to flood bc of the mechanical failsafe.

OP
OP
Dodgersfan

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does this occasionally. Usually something happened to make the water level raise above the safeguard sensor. I just turn off the ATK until it is below that sensor again (when it reports as open). I did have it happen once where the sensor needed cleaning and was reporting a false overfill (it just needed to be wiped off). The great thing about the ATK is that if you're using the float valve, it shouldn't be able to flood bc of the mechanical failsafe.

i bet that was it. i had just set it up and i had put it a little below where the water level was currently.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i bet that was it. i had just set it up and i had put it a little below where the water level was currently.
That would do it. By the way, it will continue to report it until it drops below the line. Turning off the ATK just ensures you're not filling during that time.

OP
OP
Dodgersfan

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, somethings still up with my atk, I think I’ve maybe got the alarm set wrong? I don’t want to delete all the alarms, I do want it to tell me when something is actually wrong, but all these false alarms are driving me crazy. My phone buzzes with alerts 24/7. This is what it looks like, all the time:

A3937D5D-8A90-4923-9C77-1B0F7D17BC58.png
2DB13A11-EB68-4C78-8059-C9AC76D3E78A.png

How do I get it to stop sending me 250+ alerts daily????

Oleshp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this happening all the time? Mine was sending me alarms whenever my return pump was off (so anytime I was feeding) because the sensor was covered. You can program the higher sensor to go through a virtual outlet before it triggers the alarm and have that outlet off whenever the return pump is off.
There was another thread recently that outlines that.
I Hope that helps and is somewhat relevant to your problem

OP
OP
Dodgersfan

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does that when I’m feeding and the return pump is off. But that’s not the only time it does it. It also goes off randomly throughout the day, I think it might be pinging me every time the ATO runs, I tend to get a cluster of a half dozen or so alerts within the same minute every 15 minutes or so. but I’m not totally sure, I’m not home most of the time or around the tank to check and see if they line up. I’m pretty sure I just did the default alarm coding when I set it up, I’ll run setup again this afternoon when I get home and post a screenshot of the alarm coding.

bigroost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue, I put in a ticket with Neptune. One of their tech changed some settings and virtual outlets, now I get it maybe once a week instead of daily. You paid a lot of money for that thing just let them fix it.

Oleshp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also try contacting neptune. Mine was only coming on when the pump was off. Now it's only if I have my arm in the tank and the level rises in the sump. My alarm is defered for 45 seconds also to give the levels time to stabilize after the pump comes on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back