Constant Reefer 450 overflow adjustment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

eddius_maximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my morning routine:

Wake up. Coffee. Go twist open the Red Sea gate valve a couple millimeters. This has been my life for the two years I've had this tank.

I'll go to bed and the water level is perfect - about an inch below the emergency drain. I wake up, it's overflowing again. One teeny tiny twist and it's good for the day. But it's every single morning.

It's not really an issue of laziness. It's more about the salinity shifting with constant slight water level changes from overflow/sump with ATO compensating.

Is this a, "go DIY a new gate valve that doesn't suck" issue? Or is this something else I'm overlooking? Return pump GPH? I have a Syncra Silent 5.0 which is 1300 gph. I'm sure after head loss it's close to the recommended 1100.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with the Red Sea tanks but it looks to be a "Herbie" style overflow. To avoid constant adjustments, there should be some water trickling down the emergency drain always. The point behind the Herbie is that it is silent compared to an open stanpipe, durso, etc. but it is not able to auto-adjust for flow. The valve will constantly flow the same amount dependent upon how much it's open. You might try adjusting it so that your water level in the weir is a little bit higher to allow for changes in air pressure/ temp.

OP
OP
eddius_maximus

eddius_maximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew some water should be trickling down the emergency drain always. There's a noise associated with it that I assumed was undesirable.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew some water should be trickling down the emergency drain always. There's a noise associated with it that I assumed was undesirable.
Should be little if any noise from it. As I understand it, the water sticks to the walls of the pipe when at a very low flow rate. The only noise you may hear is if the emergency drain pipe is too far above the water going into the sump.

Buddy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine setup with a little trickle down the emergency drain pipe and I do get some noise sometimes. Mixture of air and water from the drain causes a drain "sucking" noise. It comes and goes. I am not sure if something can be done to eliminate it.

jmp21677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue and had a frag plug that had fallen into the drain pipe. Once I got that out it's been great. Any chance something fell into the pipe?

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine setup with a little trickle down the emergency drain pipe and I do get some noise sometimes. Mixture of air and water from the drain causes a drain "sucking" noise. It comes and goes. I am not sure if something can be done to eliminate it.
How far under the water is your main drain pipe? If it's close to the surface, it may be creating a vortex and sucking air. With only a trickle in your emergency, it shouldn't be causing a "sucking" sound.

Buddy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue and had a frag plug that had fallen into the drain pipe. Once I got that out it's been great. Any chance something fell into the pipe?

No, I have checked that and it is clear.

Buddy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far under the water is your main drain pipe? If it's close to the surface, it may be creating a vortex and sucking air. With only a trickle in your emergency, it shouldn't be causing a "sucking" sound.

I will check. Thanks,

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer owner checking in. I also run mine so the water trickles into the overflow. No sound on mine when I do this. I hardly ever touch my valve

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 450 and because of this thread I didn’t even try the Red Sea valve
Got a Spears before I even got the tank wet

ATO takes care of the level change and the tank is silent other then my stupid gyre

Hope you got it taken care of as I know this thread is old

Back