Control Noctua fans with Apex?

Desert Darthead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to Reef2Reef...first time posting. I am planning out my setup for 200 gal reef tank and looking to install 3-4" fans in canopy. Light system will be 4, 80W T5's (5') and 4 AI Hydra 64 HD LEDs. The only aquarium fans I found (like those from Reef Octopus) have their own thermistor that turns them on and controls speed based on temp. Was looking for option to control with Apex and have on whenever the lights are on. Saw another post where Noctura fans were recommended and they seem to be the best rated, quiet and 6 year warranty (and 1/2 the price of Reef Octopus).

Looking at 80 mm NF-A8-PWM black fans. They come with a 4 pin PWM connector that allows you to control speed. They are 12V and you can daisy chain them.Was planning to install 2-3 of them in the back of the canopy. Any ideas how to power and control with Apex system?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this will work with your specific fan model, but this might get you started:

OP
OP
D

Desert Darthead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link. Helpful. Wonder if instead of stepping down power from 24v to 12v, could you somehow split to run 2 from same 24v port of EB832?

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wire them all in parallel to a 12v power supply. Figure out how many amps you’ll need, I’m sure minimal, and order one. They are fairly cheap. Then plug the power supply into an Apex outlet.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Noctua NF-A12x25 FLX, Premium Quiet Fan, 3-Pin (120mm, Brown) in my hood & two in my stand. Each pair is directly connected to a buck converter (24v -> 12v). Each buck converter is wired to one of two 24v ports on eb832. My hood fans come on with lights (time-based) and stand fans come on when water temp above 77 using Apex. Works great. Friend wired fans to buck converters & adjuster voltage to 12v.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note, we tried daisy-chain but fans wouldn't stay at constant speed. Kept pulsing. Direct connect each to power best result. Fans I chose have more blades & move air well.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing. Using Apex breakout box kit from Avast Marine, I connected a micro switch to my hood top. When I open hood, lights turn off(switched outlet). Super convenient.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two noctua 120mm fans wired in parallel to a standard 9v (Maybe 12v) adapter, which is plugged into #8 on one of my EB8's and they work great. I just use a simple program on that outlet. I'm probably going to swap them out for 3 80mm fans and use a 24v to 12v step down converter and connect them directly to my EB832.

OP
OP
D

Desert Darthead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the help and tips. Trying to plan out all the equipment and apex system before buying everything. Plan...then purchase...trying something new!

OP
OP
D

Desert Darthead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Avast breakout box is nice. On backorder currently, but definitely will have to consider. Was thinking of similar approach with door switch on stand and LED strip light come on when open. Hadn’t thought about canopy, but may have to consider. How can you connect multiple Avast breakout boxes without adding unnecessary PM modules?

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My breakout box is connected directly to Apex controller. Provides 6 switch connections. Avast is better than Neptune because each positive and negative wire has its own slot. Neptune requires all negative wires connect to same screw. I've only used one breakout box connector so far. Not sure how to use more than 6.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
199EB9F2-AB53-4557-A5EA-F4C3514EBD7C.jpeg

D9C609E2-FD94-40A5-A5E7-4F289D28BDDF.jpeg

I made these myself. The second one I made for a local reefer friend. It has three easy clamp connectors for attaching float switches. They're actually not that difficult to make, just need to figure out the pin out order of the 8 pin mini din connector and solder it all together.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My breakout box is connected directly to Apex controller. Provides 6 switch connections. Avast is better than Neptune because each positive and negative wire has its own slot. Neptune requires all negative wires connect to same screw. I've only used one breakout box connector so far. Not sure how to use more than 6.
If you add a pm1 or pm2 module, then you can add more breakout boxes.

U

User1

View Badges
I believe what he is trying to do is use the two 24 accessory ports directly without an inverter or using a outlet. So think direct connect. I was actually noodling over this earlier in the week also using a pair of Noctua fans. They move a lot of air and are super quite.

1594396376603.png

OP
OP
D

Desert Darthead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe what he is trying to do is use the two 24 accessory ports directly without an inverter or using a outlet. So think direct connect. I was actually noodling over this earlier in the week also using a pair of Noctua fans. They move a lot of air and are super quite.

1594396376603.png

Yes, it would be great to be able to direct connect to the DC24 ports; however, most of the fans of reasonable size and noise are 12V DC. The 24V DC fans from Noctura are solid for sure, but have dBA ratings 2-4x the 12V counterparts.

If I follow the various options presented, I can:
1. Use the 24V DC ports on the EB832 with an inverter to step the power down from 24V to 12V. In this case could I could connect 2 fans to each inverter allowing to connect 2 fans per port, depending on required Amps.
2. Connect the fans to a 12V power supply and plug into one of the outlets on EB832. Could possibly connect more than 1 to a single 12V power supply depending on the required amps.

Seems like either way, I cannot just directly connect to the EB832.

OP
OP
D

Desert Darthead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add a pm1 or pm2 module, then you can add more breakout boxes.

I understand if you add a pm , 2 or 3 module you gain an extra I/O port with each module. However, is there a way to add extra I/O ports to connect additional breakout boxes without adding these modules? Seems like you're adding modules just as a middle connect for additional breakout boxes?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as you match voltage, you
I understand if you add a pm , 2 or 3 module you gain an extra I/O port with each module. However, is there a way to add extra I/O ports to connect additional breakout boxes without adding these modules? Seems like you're adding modules just as a middle connect for additional breakout boxes?
I added a pm1 module for my calcium reactor, so I took advantage of the extra I/O port. There's no other way to add another breakout box without an I/O port (that I know of?)

U

User1

View Badges
Yes, it would be great to be able to direct connect to the DC24 ports; however, most of the fans of reasonable size and noise are 12V DC. The 24V DC fans from Noctura are solid for sure, but have dBA ratings 2-4x the 12V counterparts.

If I follow the various options presented, I can:
1. Use the 24V DC ports on the EB832 with an inverter to step the power down from 24V to 12V. In this case could I could connect 2 fans to each inverter allowing to connect 2 fans per port, depending on required Amps.
2. Connect the fans to a 12V power supply and plug into one of the outlets on EB832. Could possibly connect more than 1 to a single 12V power supply depending on the required amps.

Seems like either way, I cannot just directly connect to the EB832.

I think option 1 will work although I'd have to try it out. I saved my original v1 PMUP so I have the connector end of it already. I think I'm going to order a inverter from Amazon or some other store (DC 24v to 12v Step Down Converter Reducer Regulator 5A 60W Power Supply Adapter for Auto Car Truck Vehicle Boat Solar System etc.(Accept DC15-40V Inputs)) and use the adapter Noctua includes that is a single header for 2 fans. I should be able to then plug directly into the port on the energy bar to power the fans.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think option 1 will work although I'd have to try it out. I saved my original v1 PMUP so I have the connector end of it already. I think I'm going to order a inverter from Amazon or some other store (DC 24v to 12v Step Down Converter Reducer Regulator 5A 60W Power Supply Adapter for Auto Car Truck Vehicle Boat Solar System etc.(Accept DC15-40V Inputs)) and use the adapter Noctua includes that is a single header for 2 fans. I should be able to then plug directly into the port on the energy bar to power the fans.
You can buy the connectors from BRS that have bare wire on the ends if you can't use the pmup.
DC24 cable

VJC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a a ac to 12v dc power adapter, a molex to sata adapter and the noctua fan controller which can control up to 3 fans and just plug it into the energy bar outlet. All of that stuff is available from amazon for less that 20 bucks each. I use the GHL system but it's pretty much the same concept.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back