Control of Caulerpa lentilifera (Grapeweed)

SimonHP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year R2R'ers!
Can anyone please advise on suitable herbivores to control C. lentilifera. It is easy to remove when large enough but I would like to control the spread of the roots which is not so easy. Thanks very much, Simon.

c.lentilifera.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year R2R'ers!
Can anyone please advise on suitable herbivores to control C. lentilifera. It is easy to remove when large enough but I would like to control the spread of the roots which is not so easy. Thanks very much, Simon.

c.lentilifera.jpg
Where are you placing Grape Caulerpa? If it’s going in an algae filter for nutrient export, I see little reason for concern. If it is going in your display tank, then keep Grapes in substrate as holdfast are difficult to remove when attached to rock.

OP
OP
SimonHP

SimonHP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you placing Grape Caulerpa? If it’s going in an algae filter for nutrient export, I see little reason for concern. If it is going in your display tank, then keep Grapes in substrate as holdfast are difficult to remove when attached to rock.
Hey Subsea, thanks for the reply. It's growing in the display tank, the roots are now onto the liverock/aquascape. I agree that its a great way to export nutrients, it grows fast and it's easy to harvest. I just don't want it in the display tank.

OP
OP
SimonHP

SimonHP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a tang or a foxface if your tank is big enough. One of those will mow it down.
Thank you, the tank is big enough. I have a large sailfin tang that takes no notice. A foxface would make a lovely addition. I'll look out for one.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Subsea, thanks for the reply. It's growing in the display tank, the roots are now onto the liverock/aquascape. I agree that its a great way to export nutrients, it grows fast and it's easy to harvest. I just don't want it in the display tank.
I had the exact same problem. Bought a Foxface and he mowed it down. My LFS let me bring in a small piece and put it in a few tanks they had FoxFaces in to to see which one showed the most interest. Luckily a Mag Foxface went after it and I brought him home. I love that fish.

OP
OP
SimonHP

SimonHP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same problem. Bought a Foxface and he mowed it down. My LFS let me bring in a small piece and put it in a few tanks they had FoxFaces in to to see which one showed the most interest. Luckily a Mag Foxface went after it and I brought him home. I love that fish.
The Mag Foxface is a true beauty, don't see them often in SA. Thanks StlSalt :)

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mag Foxface is a true beauty, don't see them often in SA. Thanks StlSalt :)
My first attempt was just a regular old foxface. Ate all the algae then died even though it was eating frozen foods. I think it was because of nutrition. The Caulerpa came came back with a vengeance. New guy gets a sheet of nori everyday cut into shreds and he's been doing great for over a year, and I haven't seen any signs of the grape nightmare, although I imagine it's still there he just eats before it's visible to me. My point is that it doesn't have to be a MagFF. By the way once my caulerpa wasn't around to eat up all my nutrients my phosphate and Nitrates skyrocketed.

OP
OP
SimonHP

SimonHP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first attempt was just a regular old foxface. Ate all the algae then died even though it was eating frozen foods. I think it was because of nutrition. The Caulerpa came came back with a vengeance. New guy gets a sheet of nori everyday cut into shreds and he's been doing great for over a year, and I haven't seen any signs of the grape nightmare, although I imagine it's still there he just eats before it's visible to me. My point is that it doesn't have to be a MagFF. By the way once my caulerpa wasn't around to eat up all my nutrients my phosphate and Nitrates skyrocketed.
Good point re nutrients - they are obviously there otherwise the weed wouldn't grow!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Beneficial in the sump and if in the tank, it’s like salad for tangs and rabbit fish

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 43 43.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back