Controllable deep sand beds - a discussion thread

Dr.Xipoles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a brs dosing pump be a good pump for this application so as to not create hydrogen sulfide?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a brs dosing pump be a good pump for this application so as to not create hydrogen sulfide?

Thanks.

The BRS dosing pumps are not rated for a continuous duty cycle. You are into Masterflex and Watson Marlow pumps for this type of use (or plan for pump failure and keep spares).

Dennis

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is this basically a fluidized sandbed filter of old, with added bacteria to feed it? Lifeguard Aquatics still makes them and can be modified most likely.

Another member on here, who unfortunately passed away earlier this year, came up with his own DIY Nitrate Destroyer. He used 2 pvc pipes (first pipe was in-flow at the top, the second was fed from the first at the bottom and exited the top) and filled them with a mix of all different shapes and sized medias. The slow flow rate enabled aerobic bacteria in the first chamber to form and allowed anaerobic bacteria in the second chamber to gas off the nitrogen that formed to eliminate nitrates.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/poor-man-nutrients-control-donovans-nitrate-destroyer.302685/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is this basically a fluidized sandbed filter of old, with added bacteria to feed it? Lifeguard Aquatics still makes them and can be modified most likely.

Another member on here, who unfortunately passed away earlier this year, came up with his own DIY Nitrate Destroyer. He used 2 pvc pipes (first pipe was in-flow at the top, the second was fed from the first at the bottom and exited the top) and filled them with a mix of all different shapes and sized medias. The slow flow rate enabled aerobic bacteria in the first chamber to form and allowed anaerobic bacteria in the second chamber to gas off the nitrogen that formed to eliminate nitrates.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/poor-man-nutrients-control-donovans-nitrate-destroyer.302685/

Yes, Donovan's filter is the same idea. Haven't read his thread yet. Will do. Thanks!

If you want it to fluidize I think you need a lot larger pump then the dosing pump I was thinking of :) And probably put the pump at the inlet. My thought was low flow.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS dosing pumps are not rated for a continuous duty cycle. You are into Masterflex and Watson Marlow pumps for this type of use (or plan for pump failure and keep spares).

Dennis
Please add some links to the pumps if you know where to find them. Would really like to find more controllable pumps 10-100 l/h.

We have some membrane pumps for our large calcium reactors, great pumps but they are very loud. Here's it is: http://www.makab.se/shop/pumpar/849-pump-membran-bl-15-2-1-bar.html

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't intended for this thread to be just about the filter I sketched. If you have other types of sand bed filters please share you thought and setups! :)

I know @Lasse has a slightly different setup which are up and running now. We want more filters! :D

/ David

Tajaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys..... Idk how the tech over in the west has developed, but I have used this system for quite some time already. Its pretty similar to the Dymico system but I made it much simpler and added an algae reactor to raise the pH. I designed it myself about 3 years ago and the test tank ran for 2 years before I moved house and started a new tank (4k L tank)

here's some pics of the tank in early 2015
25rebzk.jpg

And here is the tank in late 2016.
9r25ja.jpg

2eqb3at.jpg

All corals as you can see are grown from frags. Mortality was very low with this tank and I could even raise gorgonians and some NPS without any problem.

The main reason I did this tank was because of the "skimmer craze" here in Thailand a few years back where everyone was trying to sell skimmers like they're hotcakes or something. I wanted to see whether it was possible to have a system designed and maintained without using a skimmer at all. This system was the result. It uses an active deep sand bed (I call it an aDSB) for main filtration and a chaeto reactor for secondary filtration.

2hnm2dz.jpg

again, ran this for 2 years, no problem whatsoever. Only problem was it ticked off alot of people that it succeeded.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys..... Idk how the tech over in the west has developed, but I have used this system for quite some time already. Its pretty similar to the Dymico system but I made it much simpler and added an algae reactor to raise the pH. I designed it myself about 3 years ago and the test tank ran for 2 years before I moved house and started a new tank (4k L tank)

25rebzk.jpg

9r25ja.jpg

2eqb3at.jpg

All corals as you can see are grown from frags. Mortality was very low with this tank and I could even raise gorgonians and some NPS without any problem.

The main reason I did this tank was because of the "skimmer craze" here in Thailand a few years back where everyone was trying to sell skimmers like they're hotcakes or something. I wanted to see whether it was possible to have a system designed and maintained without using a skimmer at all. This system was the result. It uses an active deep sand bed (I call it an aDSB) for main filtration and a chaeto reactor for secondary filtration.

2hnm2dz.jpg

again, ran this for 2 years, no problem whatsoever. Only problem was it ****** off alot of people that it succeeded.
I like it.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

25rebzk.jpg

9r25ja.jpg

2eqb3at.jpg

2hnm2dz.jpg

again, ran this for 2 years, no problem whatsoever. Only problem was it ****** off alot of people that it succeeded.
Did you inject co2 to utilise it as a calcium reactor as well as nutrient export?

Tajaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Steve,

No I didn't I saw that Dymico was using something like that, but I used a kalkreactor instead since I wanted to keep the pH higher (I managed to keep it at a stable 8.2).

I forgot to mention that I didn't do any water changes for the last year of this test tank.

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There draw back of dymico is cost, and not simple enough. Give it time, when microprocessor fails (with time), won't be fun. Personally. My denitrator on dt, simply 5 gallon bucket, I use clay 1/8" size. water enters top. With pump(dedicated to it) in refugium,pump keeps recirculation , let gravity do its job. Works fine. I use to use sulfur denitrator, but it effects calcium, alkalinity, etc....

Would love to see a pic of this (the 5 gallon set up you mentioned)!

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY DSB . Deep sand bed is in form of 1.5 gallon buckets of sand In my sump. Each one is numbered.. I have 6 of them.. Every 4 months I remove the oldest one and replace with new sand Dumping the content. .. This to me is the easiest to maintain .

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a set up like that in my sump . So water flows through my ruble rock .. instead of just over it .

For tight packed sand you have to do some testing for size of the pipe . A valve or a pump that would let the water flow once or twice a day . Like the shifting currents of the ocean would do .
Otherwise you would just be making a huge fluidized bed filter .

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a set up like that in my sump . So water flows through my ruble rock .. instead of just over it .

For tight packed sand you have to do some testing for size of the pipe . A valve or a pump that would let the water flow once or twice a day . Like the shifting currents of the ocean would do .
Otherwise you would just be making a huge fluidized bed filter .

You all, it seems to me are talking about “plenums’. My understanding of dsb is 4 - 6 inches of oolite 9 and (excuse the spelling) sand and no water flows through.

Nothing disturbs the sand.

Tajaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I used is not exactly a plenum. Water does run through the sand though but all the way to the bottom and flows out. The flow is incredibly low though.

My aDSB was 12 inches thick if that helps

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back