Controller fell into sump...

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So uhm... my Tunze controller fell into my sump.. what are the chances of it putting copper into the tank... I removed it within 1-2 minutes as I was near it when it fell in. I have a star fish in the sump si I'm gonna assume that if he dies then copper was released into the tank in the short time the controller was submerged. I instantly turn off all pumps so it wasn't getting put into the display and I'm mixing water to do a large water change on the sump.

any recommendations?

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think it would be in concentration high enough to harm anything if at all. If you are worried you could always run some activated carbon and/or do a sizeable water change.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be safe.....I would run some carbon if you are not already running it. It's not so much a copper addition to the water, but the other items that are created during shorting, like a heater breaking. You caught it quickly so you will probably be fine. Throw the controller into a zip lock full of rice for a week...it might come back too.

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be safe.....I would run some carbon if you are not already running it. It's not so much a copper addition to the water, but the other items that are created during shorting, like a heater breaking. You caught it quickly so you will probably be fine. Throw the controller into a zip lock full of rice for a week...it might come back too.

I took the controller apart and the back of the board is black :\ I called them up at Tunze and was really amazed he offered me an amazing deal and is willing to send out a new board tomorrow for me for a way cheaper price which is just amazing since today was the first day it was hooked up. I'm gonna do a 50% water change to the sump and run carbon.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back