Controller recommendations

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have any recommendations on the controller? I am debating on either going with Apex or Hydros...
I would love a controller, but it just isn't in the budget right now. Personally I would go with a hydros system if I was going to buy one. Lots of options and I like how modular it is.

OP
OP
MonoZXM

MonoZXM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a controller, but it just isn't in the budget right now. Personally I would go with a hydros system if I was going to buy one. Lots of options and I like how modular it is.
Thanks! Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about the hydros system...

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Apex setup. I can't fathom relying on anything else on the market for the automation I use on my tank.

Tried Hydros with Gyres a few years ago and it was a mess. It's probably gotten better since I last tried it.

EasternShoreman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently changeing from Apex to Hydros and love it so far. The Hydros overall build quality is fantastic, while i always thought apex felt a bit "light" for the cost (i hesitate to use the word cheap). I dont code, so there is little advantage to the Apex platform for me now.

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Apex, GHL and Hydros. I like Hydros but wish I stuck with GHL. Apex has the best software Apex Fusion but hate all the modules design. GHL Hardware is the best the software a bit hard to get used to but once do you get it. Hydros good since every controller uses its own brain so to speak. I would highly recommend GHL. It comes down to what you need in a controller to be honest. Ask yourself what you want to do with a controller. If you want a lot of control and don't care about all the modules you need to maybe achieve that a no brainer is Apex. If you hate modules like I do and want easy of use Hydros the way. If you like complexity of advanced programming, hate modules, hardware that looks tough GHL the way. GHL takes forever though to release stuff. Example finally they getting fish feeder apparently for it. The feeder looks amazing though.

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Apex, GHL and Hydros. I like Hydros but wish I stuck with GHL. Apex has the best software Apex Fusion but hate all the modules design. GHL Hardware is the best the software a bit hard to get used to but once do you get it. Hydros good since every controller uses its own brain so to speak. I would highly recommend GHL. It comes down to what you need in a controller to be honest. Ask yourself what you want to do with a controller. If you want a lot of control and don't care about all the modules you need to maybe achieve that a no brainer is Apex. If you hate modules like I do and want easy of use Hydros the way. If you like complexity of advanced programming, hate modules, hardware that looks tough GHL the way. GHL takes forever though to release stuff. Example finally they getting fish feeder apparently for it. The feeder looks amazing though.
GHL is for engineers, Apex is for iPhone Users :)

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience in Hydros IV?
Overall I really like hydros in general. You can see my tank build regarding the other hydros modules, kraken, etc. I am using the iV with X10. I am still breaking it in but now both pH and salinity measurements are accurate and the alkalinity measurement is getting close to salifert (tonight sailfert 8.3 and X10/iV was 8.8). Soon I should be able to hook up the 4th doser on the X10 to my soda ash and let the Hydros software titrate the alkalinity automatically. I hope it works well. Time will tell.

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be honest, I was using Reefpi until one of my chips decided to short out and almost burn down the apartment complex. Glad my girlfriend have not left for her sisters yet when it happened.. she told me to either get something better or get out of the hobby so I bought an Apex pro and it's working as of right now. I had an Apex Jr in the past so I wanted to stay with a controller that has been in the hobby for a while. The only thing I wish about Apex is the availability of the mods... and I wish the pro came with the optical sensor for ATO instead of the Liquid level sensor. but for what I wanted the controller to do it was cheaper to go with the pro than the standard model.

all controllers do the same thing, giving you the option to control and monitor your tank. each is the same and only have small difference in my opinion, its the ecosystem you want to be with.. pick your poison..

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex-

PROS
  • BEST software and dashboard
  • Limitless customization when it comes to programming
  • Lots of modules
CONS-
  • Hardware is prone to failures
  • Don't seem to take feedback with regards to improving their hardware

GHL-

PROS
  • Hardware is top notch and robust
  • Highly reliable
CONS-
  • Software is outdated
  • Take forever to release changes and bug fixes
  • Support is almost non-existent

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall I really like hydros in general. You can see my tank build regarding the other hydros modules, kraken, etc. I am using the iV with X10. I am still breaking it in but now both pH and salinity measurements are accurate and the alkalinity measurement is getting close to salifert (tonight sailfert 8.3 and X10/iV was 8.8). Soon I should be able to hook up the 4th doser on the X10 to my soda ash and let the Hydros software titrate the alkalinity automatically. I hope it works well. Time will tell.
One thing about hydros is their support is amazing. I reached out to them about the salinity issues I had initially and they helped me fix it. I then contacted them about the alkalinity issue and they fixed it within one day. Now it is very accurate as of last night. Any other issues I have had with the controllers they have been available and quick to respond and help.

Margaritaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture is worth a 1000 words. And this is on my FW system. The only issue I’ve ever had is with their MXM module. IMO it was rushed to market and until the software gets better I’ll stick with Mobius for the pumps.

Attachments

• IMG_1726.jpeg
    IMG_1726.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 145

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have any recommendations on the controller? I am debating on either going with Apex or Hydros...

Noted already - hobbyist here, and elsewhere, use both so are a bit biased on our recommendations. I call it honesty in reefing. With that out of the way I would suggest to you to make a list of requirements. Requirements of what you think you want the controller to do. Today, tomorrow, and in the future.

• Alerts
  • Monitoring
  • Dosing
  • Automated testing
  • Test result based dosing
  • Integration with third party products
  • Auto water change
  • Breath of modules (return pumps, power heads, feeders, flow monitor, etc)
  • Support and support location (US, EMEA, etc)

Lastly - do you want shrink wrap (GHL, Neptune, Hydros) or do you want open source (Reef Angel or Reef Pi). Making a list, checking it twice, will help guide you. Honestly me telling you that I have been a long time Neptune product user (since 2000) won't do you much good. On the other hand me suggesting making a list of what you want to do and must haves will. That way you can take that and compare who does what and at what cost. Align your budget and Bob's your Uncle.

Honestly - we can't answer this for you. Anyone tries we are doing you a disservice. We can, however, share our experience. Just know up front that Bob and Sally will use the same piece of hardware and have two different results.

Honesty in reefing.

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex-

PROS
  • BEST software and dashboard
  • Limitless customization when it comes to programming
  • Lots of modules
CONS-
  • Hardware is prone to failures
  • Don't seem to take feedback with regards to improving their hardware

GHL-

PROS
  • Hardware is top notch and robust
  • Highly reliable
CONS-
  • Software is outdated
  • Take forever to release changes and bug fixes
  • Support is almost non-existent
I 100% agree. Support for Apex probably the best with Hydros close second. GHL takes forever if you get a reply. I would take GHL even with lack of support overall.

MikeO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This YouTube channel did quite a lengthy comparison of Neptune vs GHL, and I believe he does a number of reviews and comparisons with Hydros. Worth watching if you're in the market for a controller.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture is worth a 1000 words. And this is on my FW system. The only issue I’ve ever had is with their MXM module. IMO it was rushed to market and until the software gets better I’ll stick with Mobius for the pumps.
Yes - (no offense) to me those 1000 words explain how they put more effort into artsy-fartsy designs that are not modular or well thought or reliable than they did quality or usability.

All oddball shapes, wires going every direction, etc.
GHL is a well thought out product.
1708733875033.png

1708733971860.png

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This YouTube channel did quite a lengthy comparison of Neptune vs GHL, and I believe he does a number of reviews and comparisons with Hydros. Worth watching if you're in the market for a controller.

Never understood "unboxing" videos.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back