Controlling Icecap Gyre dual controller with Apex

jimsflies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Icecap 2k Gyre and I'm considering adding another 2k to balance flow on the other end of my tank. I also am interested in controlling both pumps with my Apex, with some synchronization between them.

Can the Apex control 2 gyres with the dual controller/Apex combo? I only see one 0-10v port on the dual controller.

What cable do I need to purchase to connect to the Apex to the dual controller? I only have found the "alternate" cable that seems to allow for forward/reverse speed control of 1 pump?

Or do I need to purchase another pump with controller in order to control both with Apex?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the day to day control to the IC2GC controller, use the apex to drive events like turning pumps off, feed modes, etc. That will require a 0-10v output from the Apex to the 0-10v input on the IC2GC. You only need a single port cable, as there is only one input to transmit.

OP
OP
J

jimsflies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. Do you have 2 pumps setup on your apex with one IC2GC?

With only one 0-10v input, are both pumps going to be controlled together? If you assign it to be controlled via the 0-10v input, I don't think it will continue to do the day to day controlling using the ICG2 as you are basically assigning it to take instruction from the 0-10v input.

When selecting the input option in the hydros app, it asks which 0-10v input to assign to the pump...indicates there is Input 1 and Input 2. But clearly only 1 port to plug into...my thought is it could have multiple channels within that single port. But I don't see any cables or info available discussing how this would work.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. Do you have 2 pumps setup on your apex with one IC2GC?

With only one 0-10v input, are both pumps going to be controlled together? If you assign it to be controlled via the 0-10v input, I don't think it will continue to do the day to day controlling using the ICG2 as you are basically assigning it to take instruction from the 0-10v input.

When selecting the input option in the hydros app, it asks which 0-10v input to assign to the pump...indicates there is Input 1 and Input 2. But clearly only 1 port to plug into...my thought is it could have multiple channels within that single port. But I don't see any cables or info available discussing how this would work.

It is a stereo plug, with the tip being input 1, ring being input 2, and sleeve being ground.

I agree it is slightly confusing because for “mode control input”, you have to choose between input 1 and input 2. I am not sure if you can use both.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, if 1/2 do work you could use it to drive pump behavior, but that programming will end up being more complex than just letting the controller do the heavy lifting, with apex running specific events. @Carlos@CoralVue might be able to answer that one.

I will repeat that I think repeating trigger functionality should be extended to the IC2GC, it is a rather large feature missing imo. > @Jeff@CoralVue.

OP
OP
J

jimsflies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kyle So if I understand you right , you're saying that you could control one pump with apex and setup the IC2GC to sync/anti-sync (or whatever) the apex is telling the first pump to do?

Any idea if the control cable used for Kessil's would work with the IC2GC?

Last edited:

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'm saying let the IC2CG do the day to day program control of the pump, and use the apex to drive "event" modes for lack of a better term. Shut off pump, turn pump 100% for 5 minutes, put pump on low speed for 10 minutes, etc.

The controller already has anti-sync functionality by default, it's the "same" vs "opposite" designation of the two pumps.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back