Convert Wet/Dry Filter to Sump - remove bio balls..drip tray..etc

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my smaller tanks th a at I recently set up has a older style wet dry with the vacuum type hose coming from the overflow to a drip tray connector on left side of wet/dry and drips over bio balls. I have added rock and biosphere to the bottom of the filter as I want to remove the bio balls.

What I am looking for is anyone that has converted the input section to maybe a filter sock or similar. With the drip tray, I have a square seection bio media under the drip tray that I replace once a week I would like to remove all of that.

I was wondering what others have done to convert and remove the bio balls. Currently the bio balls also seem to quiet the wet/dry as the water cascades over them. I also have read that they same to be a nitrate factory to some extent.

Any suggestions is much appreciated.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure everyone's experiences with this type of sump and bio filter are different, but I have never had great luck with the "trickle" filter. I have tried it on two different tanks but never managed to get to the point where I was confident in the filter's ability to handle the inevitable "upset" conditions that happen from time to time (over-feeding, something dies, or a business trip gets in the way of routine maintenance ... all of which lead to a sudden spike in nitrogen waste)

In my experience the key was having good mechanical filtration to remove as much waste from the water stream as possible. In both cases my trickle filters relied on fleece and/or floss in the drip tray. I found that unless I changed it frequently and religiously, as the material would foul the water would find a way past ... leading to accumulation of detritus in the bio media chamber. And I never felt confident that I could get the bio media chamber clean.

So when I was finally ready to upgrade my tank I went to a sump that used socks - which I felt gave me much better control. I also moved away from bioballs and started using ceramic media which I think provides MUCH more surface area for nitrifying bacteria, as well as providing aerobic areas which can even support de-nitrifying bacteria.

As for converting your existing sump to use filter socks, I guess that entirely depends on the specific make and model of sump you are using and whether or not there is sufficient physical space to accommodate a filter sock.

Perhaps if you told us what exact make and model of sump you have, or even posted pictures, we might be able to give you some better suggestions?

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
942055C0-0DBF-4CC9-B40D-98CEBABD547D.jpeg

eshopps makes a hang on back universal 4” sock kit for converting your wet dry system to filter sock. Here’s a picture of mine!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back