Converting Macro Algae Aquarium into Soft Coral Reef Need Suggestions

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 6, 2023
Messages
43
Reaction score
41
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am currently in the process of converting an ill-fated attempt at a macro algae aquarium into a soft coral reef. Need suggestions on species or tweaks to my setup. It is a Water Box Clear Mini 16 running an AI Prime, Tidal 75 w/ Purigen, heater, ATO, and a small powerhead. It was originally setup in January. Had some horrible hair algae challenges that have since subsided after a near 100% water change during a recent move. Stocking is two blue legged hermits, three nassarius snails, and a beautiful mocha clownfish named Gus who I have had for 5 months, and some red ogo macroalgae.

I want to try to do a soft coral/rock flower anemone garden and would love some suggestions on species that would work with my setup and aquascape. I have also attached some pictures.

Thanks!

unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (1).jpg unnamed.jpg
 
Rock flower anemones are hardy and almost never move.
A toadstool leather coral (weeping willow if possible).
Mushrooms and zoas. They'd fit with your macro algae.

Don't go buying an RBTA just yet. They have advanced needs. You can start with the ones I've listed and you wont break the bank either.
 
In all honesty, you can grow basically any softies under a Prime.

Look for:
Toadstool
Sinularia
Capnella
Cabbage leathers
Cespitulararia
Rainbow Cloves

Also:
Photosynthetic gonis

Be cautious with:
Xenia
Green star polyps
Any other cloves
 
Rock flower anemones are hardy and almost never move.
A toadstool leather coral (weeping willow if possible).
Mushrooms and zoas. They'd fit with your macro algae.

Don't go buying an RBTA just yet. They have advanced needs. You can start with the ones I've listed and you wont break the bank either.
Why Weeping Willow? I know they are nice but there are so many beautiful toadstools out there, and weeping willows are expensive and get cut super often.
 
Last edited:
Why Weeping Willow? I know they are nice but there are so many beautiful toadstools out there, and weeping willows are expensive and get cut super often.
I have it and it flows nicely. I've been lucky to get one at a great price.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new