Converting predator tank to sps dominant

Uromastyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi team
I’m looking for some advise for my waterbox 220 which has been running for 3 years with various predators. I recently sold all and moved to a coral tank. Few issues with uncontrolled nutrients for ages was getting nutrients low for sps.
After about 20 water changes and Rowa phos
Got nitrates down to 10-14 and phosphate to 0.04. To keep them down I got a large algae turf scrubber and growing macro algae in the display tank (I know this is stupid, but was hoping to get a tang to sort it out if it got out of control)
My current issue is that magnesium is currently not stable. Noted initially to be 1150 and after 4 Kg of the triton Mg, came up to 1450 only to go down after a week to 1200.
My calcium is consistently 440, and alk 8.7.

i currently stock a single scopas tang, two clown fish and few frags of acro, with hopes to get colonies once the levels are consistently stable.
dosing triton basic method, in equal parts
My question is (after reading around a bit) that if all the macro algae could be the culprit for the mag drop, Shoudl I rid of the DT macros and just run the ATS?
And Shoudl I be worried about nitrates around 10-15 if they are stable?
I understand sps keepers look to less than 5 ideally
I’m just worried the nitrates aren’t low enough as is, and probably could go up higher.
i don’t think my feeding schedule of a half a cube of mysis is a reason for th nitrates nor the minimal bio load.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro algae in the display isn't stupid. I think it looks really cool.

There is no way your magnesium could have been used up that fast. My guess is some sort of testing error (or magnesium precipitating some how but I don't know if that is likely at all).

Nitrates are fine there. It is not an issue for sps. Historically it seems people wanted ULNS to get those light sps colors but this was essentially keeping acros on the border of starving to death.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back