Converting Sumps to a Fleece Rollers

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From what I've gathered, it seems that some sumps lend themselves more easily to ditching the socks in favor of a roller than others.

Which sumps in your experience tend to "convert" more easily? It seems like with many, you would need to do some permanent mods in order to accommodate a roller.

I've been looking at both the Trigger Crystal 36 and the Tideline Sump 36" model. Does anybody have any experience switching those to a roller? The Trigger looks to be a much simpler swap but I'm just going by pics online.

Is there another ~36" sump that more readily converts?

I'm looking for something *SIMPLE*. No bells/whistles needed.

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've gathered, it seems that some sumps lend themselves more easily to ditching the socks in favor of a roller than others.

Which sumps in your experience tend to "convert" more easily? It seems like with many, you would need to do some permanent mods in order to accommodate a roller.

I've been looking at both the Trigger Crystal 36 and the Tideline Sump 36" model. Does anybody have any experience switching those to a roller? The Trigger looks to be a much simpler swap but I'm just going by pics online.

Is there another ~36" sump that more readily converts?

I'm looking for something *SIMPLE*. No bells/whistles needed.
Did you ever find a solution? What did you go with? I have a 36" tideline and my old Klir-di-7 does not fit. Doesn't look like a reefmat will fit either. I really don't want to have to cut on a $400 sump

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did you ever find a solution? What did you go with? I have a 36" tideline and my old Klir-di-7 does not fit. Doesn't look like a reefmat will fit either. I really don't want to have to cut on a $400 sump

I ended up cutting the sock holders on a Tideline 36. You COULD fit the ClariSea SK-3000 in the second chamber but I wanted that left open for a skimmer.

IMG_7632.jpeg

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome I was thinking the same. Was wanting to go with the red sea 1200, but I think it's too big. You think I could get away with the 500? I have a well stocked waterbox 180. My display is a 130, the total system volume is a prob 185ish, but I've probably got at least 100lbs of rock and sand in there.

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up cutting the sock holders on a Tideline 36. You COULD fit the ClariSea SK-3000 in the second chamber but I wanted that left open for a skimmer.

IMG_7632.jpeg

That method requires a modification to the filter roller hangers too though. They won’t hang properly without cutting them a little too.
IMG_7634.jpeg
IMG_7633.jpeg
Also how do you like the ClariSea, how big is your system?

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Awesome I was thinking the same. Was wanting to go with the red sea 1200, but I think it's too big. You think I could get away with the 500? I have a well stocked waterbox 180. My display is a 130, the total system volume is a prob 185ish, but I've probably got at least 100lbs of rock and sand in there.

I'm new so take this for what it's worth...

From my reading, I believe it's better to undersize the skimmer than oversize. Plus I will be running a refugium and will have a skimmer if needed. My system is 160 gallons (including the sump). I haven't fired it up yet though, so the effectiveness of my export system is TBD :)

The ClariSea was easy to setup. And from what I've read, the G3 addresses all of the problems I read about with the G2

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The RS 500 would NOT fit in the sock chamber - even with the sock holder removed. It would however fit in that second chamber as long as you don't ALSO have a skimmer in there.

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RS 500 would NOT fit in the sock chamber - even with the sock holder removed. It would however fit in that second chamber as long as you don't ALSO have a skimmer in there.
Dang, yeah I was having algea issues and upped my skimming. Had a 115 int, but the 150 is huge. Afraid I'm not going to find a roller big enough, so I'll be stuck in filter sock land.

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you already running a fuge?
No I have an algea scrubber. Clearwater 200. It's super tight in my waterbox cab. Wish they would have just made the entire cabinet for the sump instead of including an ATO section. The bigger skimmer defiantly improved my ph. I don't think I would want to go back to a smaller one.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard about Klir?

It seems like it was designed to be dropped into 4 or 7 inch sock holders.

I have a IM RFS 39, so im looking at sock roller options where i wont be needing to hack up my sump, but my sump has 3 x 4 inch holders, so im wondering if blocking 2 of them off would be feasable, as i don't see how using 2 Klir's would make any sense as the first one would probably get clogged first while the second one would rarely get used.

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard about Klir?

It seems like it was designed to be dropped into 4 or 7 inch sock holders.

I have a IM RFS 39, so im looking at sock roller options where i wont be needing to hack up my sump, but my sump has 3 x 4 inch holders, so im wondering if blocking 2 of them off would be feasable, as i don't see how using 2 Klir's would make any sense as the first one would probably get clogged first while the second one would rarely get used.
So I actually have the clear di-7. I have 2 7" sock holders. The tideline replaced my custom sump that was built with this roller. They're a bit hit or miss. It's a pain to change the fleece, as you have to take the entire roller out. Mine also would randomly burn through an entire roll. They are known to have sensor and motor issues. I contemplated on just buying the $65 upgrade kit. Perhaps the v2 is better, but I'd much rather have the red sea

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

This is the replacement hanger I designed for the ClariSea. This will keep the remnants of the sock holders from interfering with the mounts. My buddy cut it out with his CNC router (original on the left)…

IMG_8172.jpeg

ratzy82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great success!

IMG_8196.jpeg
Nice, I found another filter sock that will work in this space as well. In the end I think I am going to switch out my sump. I have a pvc sump that I was able to modify to fit the red sea 1200. For the price it filters more which means less fleece changes. I bought the tideline sump to give me some more room for my skimmer, but after making some mods. I'm able to fit everything. I was nervous about cutting on the pvc sump, but it's had tap water in it for 5 days and no signs of a leak. I should be good to go. I wish they would have made the overflow a bit bigger and made the filter sock holders removable. Otherwise I did like this sump. Guess I'll be selling it now, or keeping it as a backup

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back