Convict tang question

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning 2-3 convict tang in my 7' tank. I am wondering if I should add them before adding other tang or would it be best to add them at the same time like other tang? From my research they are ok to have a group in a tank of my size. I plan to have a lavender for sure, possibly a yellow, naso, and maybe an Achilles. Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning 2-3 convict tang in my 7' tank. I am wondering if I should add them before adding other tang or would it be best to add them at the same time like other tang? From my research they are ok to have a group in a tank of my size. I plan to have a lavender for sure, possibly a yellow, naso, and maybe an Achilles. Thanks
Go with 3, not 2 for convict tangs.

They can be added prior to or simultaneously with other tangs. Just add the achilles last as it is more aggressive.

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my convict tangs. I have 3. I bought the ones from Hawaii. There supposed to be hardier. And they look better than the other ones in my opinion. They got along well with my Achilles and purple tangs as well as whitetail bristletooth. If one fish is bullying/chasing one of the convicts the other 2 will come to the rescue. Not in a aggressive manner but I guess they figure there better off in a group. Enjoy

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be cautious with other tangs, you can add 3 convicts simultaneously with next to no issue, but the second they see another tang, you may have some issues. It sound like a very large tank, but still I'd only reccomend getting no more than 3 tangs other than the convicts (add prior to and slightly larger than the convicts)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be cautious with other tangs, you can add 3 convicts simultaneously with next to no issue, but the second they see another tang, you may have some issues. It sound like a very large tank, but still I'd only reccomend getting no more than 3 tangs other than the convicts (add prior to and slightly larger than the convicts)
It really all depends on the size of the tank and the species of other tangs.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be fine with three most likely as most convict tangs aren't too aggressive compared with their other acanthurus cousins. That said, more tangs decreases risk of singled out fish aggression... but nothing is a guarantee when mixing tangs.

Also with that many acanthurus tangs, beside you treat preventatively for parasites properly or you'll fall hard on your face! Been there done that many times.

Greg17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s going in a 130 gallon. This will be my only tang. I just don’t want aggression if I add smaller more docile fish later. I had a Atlantic blue in there but took it out because it killed my royal gramma.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convict are very docile, and I loved mine. Only 1 made it through QT, and I lost it at 8 months. Not sure what happened to it. Was great one day, and the next gone. Great fish!!

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lavanders ar not aggressive, and are beautiful i added one along with two mimics to my 180 last month. The mimics and the original yellow are more aggressive, and the lavander is bigger than the rest.

Greg17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my convict yesterday. She’s beautiful. Very meaty and looks healthy. She’s so mellow and strolls the tank like a shark. Not aggressive at all although all my other fish are scared to bits by her. She pays no mind to any of them.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Convict Tang is a backup plan for me if I end up with another Aggressive Yellow Tang. I have heard they tend to be more mellow than other Tangs, so that is a plus.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Convict Tang is a backup plan for me if I end up with another Aggressive Yellow Tang. I have heard they tend to be more mellow than other Tangs, so that is a plus.
Use a mirror on the yellow, they forget about the others quickly. I did that last month. I have an established yellow, and put 3 other tangs in my reef. The yellow was going after the lemonpeel mimic. I put a mirror against the tank next to the algae clip for about 3 days. It totally forgot about the 3 new tangs and now they tend to swim in a pack.
The only side effect is now every time im moving around the front of the tank the yellow flares up and flashes ( tail strikes) the front glass. Its comical as it is holding a grudge

Greg17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Been hearing they lose weight and end up dying. Mine is meaty but not eating mysis. Is eating the algae off the rocks though but not the Nori. Hope she doesn’t waste away.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried the julians brand it has garlic and vitamins. They have green red and purple. Mine seem to prefer the red and purple

Greg17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried the garlic ones and an off brand one. She doesn’t even go to it.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it the other colored ones they are different strains. You could also buy som macro algae if you're worried about wasting away. Mine dont seam found of cheato, but the other stuff , with roots they devoured

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Greg17-where did you purchase yours if you don’t mind me asking? Some places are better than others. The ones from Indonesia usually die quickly. Ones from Hawaii are much hardier and even brighter white in color. Sri Lanka are also ok. Tahiti is hit or miss

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a mirror on the yellow, they forget about the others quickly. I did that last month. I have an established yellow, and put 3 other tangs in my reef. The yellow was going after the lemonpeel mimic. I put a mirror against the tank next to the algae clip for about 3 days. It totally forgot about the 3 new tangs and now they tend to swim in a pack.
The only side effect is now every time im moving around the front of the tank the yellow flares up and flashes ( tail strikes) the front glass. Its comical as it is holding a grudge

Tried that and it didn't work. He is long gone now. It didn't help that he was the biggest fish in the tank by far. It turns out I won't be getting another Yellow Tang, my LFS was able to source a Pyramid Butterflyfish for me and it's coming tomrrow. Cautiously Excited.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt want the yellow i have. Took it iver for someone else.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back