Convince me to install a Sump!

I added a sump in my system and was very happy. As said you can hide heaters , skimmer , auto top of unit. Possibly add a fuge which can help with your N03 and also a nice place for pods to grow. I would not have a tank without one again.

So best bet is to ditch my canister filter, add a 20 long for a sump and possible add the following

- heater
- carbon filter sock
- gfo filter sock
- UV sterilizer
- filter sponge
- small fuge (or put another tank in series as a fuge)

Good idea or no?

(I don't like running a skimmer btw.. too noisy all the time)
 
So best bet is to ditch my canister filter, add a 20 long for a sump and possible add the following

- heater
- carbon filter sock
- gfo filter sock
- UV sterilizer
- filter sponge
- small fuge (or put another tank in series as a fuge)

Good idea or no?

(I don't like running a skimmer btw.. too noisy all the time)
My skimmers aren't noisy, in a sump under the tank with the doors closed its no big deal.

Me personally I don't like UV I find them ineffective for most purposes people employ them for
 
so Skimmer > UV sterilizer then for that last compartment
 
I wish I have a tank stand that allowed for a sump. Instead I picked up a hob fuge and made that like a sump but it's not a sump
 
ease of maintenance, more water volume increases tank stability, great place to hide equipment, great place to add a frag nursery, or macro algea farm, or time-out area for misbehaving tank mates, best place to dose the tank, add a light on opposite light cycle of display to stabilize PH, you can had a complete fuge for added stability, biodiversity, etc...
 
I used all type of filters and now will not do a tank unless I do a sump. Very clean, easy to maintain, and my DT looks better.
phone 146.jpg
 
is that a 1o gallon?? it looks very well put together
 
oh wow! and I don't see a skimmer in there, are you running one?
 
I also have a skimmer in there now and a submersible heater, also the center has miracle mud and some macro algea
 
yeah if you could that would be most helpful
 
I run a reverse undergravel filter

I knew you had an ace up your sleeve other than just a normal canister filter. I bet you added that system in before you scaped your tank right?
 
Of course I added it before I put the water in in the 70s. I don't use a canister filter but I think I have 3 of them someplace
 
Any updates? Chosen a sump or purchased? Would like love to follow the setup.
 
Any updates? Chosen a sump or purchased? Would like love to follow the setup.

I was thinking about putting a sump in during winter as a project of mine! I'm busy working 50 hours a week now I'm sorry man!
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new