Cooking Rock to Remove Aptasia/Vermetids

RDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning an upgrade for 2021 and was curious if anyone had success removing aptasia and vermetid snails via cooked rocks? I'm planning on following Melev's method of transferring my current rock between brutes as to keep my bacteria culture but remove the nasties. I plan to kill whatever aptasia I can as I remove the rock, but will it survive in a starved dark environment for a couple months?

Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone who took their rocks out of water and store them dry. The aiptasia when dormant. Came right back. Only way I know to rid them from rocks is to do a bleach/rodi bath

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone who took their rocks out of water and store them dry. The aiptasia when dormant. Came right back. Only way I know to rid them from rocks is to do a bleach/rodi bath

Upvote 1
Solution

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, #WelcometoR2R

The wise folk above have already answered your question so I am just throwing in a hello. Even if you do get an invader it is not the end of the world, so don’t worry.

And to answer your question from your other thread, you just need to keep looking at Craigslist and buy used tanks until every wall has a tank on it :) ;). I would suggest sticking with the one for now though. keep us updated and maybe do a build thread so we can watch your progress

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RDH

RDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, #WelcometoR2R

The wise folk above have already answered your question so I am just throwing in a hello. Even if you do get an invader it is not the end of the world, so don’t worry.

And to answer your question from your other thread, you just need to keep looking at Craigslist and buy used tanks until every wall has a tank on it :) ;). I would suggest sticking with the one for now though. keep us updated and maybe do a build thread so we can watch your progress
Howdy and thank you!

My lone invader went on a reproduction spree over Christmas so I’m eager to get these suckers under control lol. I’ll be sure to document the upgrade!

Upvote 0

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the word 'cook' when referring to live rock. I don't know if you really mean 'cook' as in boil it or not, but DON'T DO THAT. It is very dangerous.
If you want it rid of pests/start over type situation, but them all in a tub, fill about 2:1 water:vinegar and circulate overnight.
Drain, remove the rocks and blast them off with a hose or light pressure washer.
Refill with tap water, circulate overnight.
Drain - refill with salt water (can be low Sg to save on salt) let it run covered with heat & circulation.
Do weekly water changes and test.
Go as long as you can make yourself wait.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RDH

RDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the word 'cook' when referring to live rock. I don't know if you really mean 'cook' as in boil it or not, but DON'T DO THAT. It is very dangerous.
If you want it rid of pests/start over type situation, but them all in a tub, fill about 2:1 water:vinegar and circulate overnight.
Drain, remove the rocks and blast them off with a hose or light pressure washer.
Refill with tap water, circulate overnight.
Drain - refill with salt water (can be low Sg to save on salt) let it run covered with heat & circulation.
Do weekly water changes and test.
Go as long as you can make yourself wait.
Thanks, I do mean cook as in clean them up. After reading the feedback that the aptasia will likely survive (I don't want to bleach the rocks and loose my bacteria), I decided to go the berghia route to clear them before the upgrade.

Upvote 0

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I do mean cook as in clean them up. After reading the feedback that the aptasia will likely survive (I don't want to bleach the rocks and loose my bacteria), I decided to go the berghia route to clear them before the upgrade.
Good luck!

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back