Cooks Museum

William Buchanan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone on here will be volunteering at the Cook’s Museum in Decatur? They are looking for people to help out a couple of days a month. I couldn’t make the meeting this week but I’ve heard they were going to have some saltwater “stuff”. Maybe raising jellyfish? Phytoplankton? Saltwater tanks? Not sure.

Anyone involved in this?

OP
OP
William Buchanan

William Buchanan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw the sign on hwy 72, what is that a private museum?

Yes Cooks pest control in Decatur has long had their own museum but it was a little outdated and now they are finishing up a really nice new one across from the courthouse. Heard many good things about it.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @William Buchanan are you going to volunteer?

I kind of want to but, cooks is a business that makes millions. I just don't see why they don't fund workers. It's an advertising/marketing venue to them.

Maybe I am missing something.

I will investigate and see.

BTW, I wish we could still visit wetland's edge.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing Wetland's edge is going to away now that Alabama has chased BP out. I know Indorama has taken it over for now, but I can't imagine they have a legal obligation to run the place. And I doubt that if they do drop their sponsorship of it, that Decatur city would be willing to fund it alone.

Not sure about volunteer requests at Cooks museum.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing Wetland's edge is going to away now that Alabama has chased BP out. I know Indorama has taken it over for now, but I can't imagine they have a legal obligation to run the place. And I doubt that if they do drop their sponsorship of it, that Decatur city would be willing to fund it alone.

Not sure about volunteer requests at Cooks museum.

Yeah, I was wondering if it was related to BP being kicked out. It was a wonderful place. I actually got to help move and alligator there.

I had a cutting of GSP that grew huge and got fragged a dozen times or more.

I would love to have the big acrylic tank that was in the lab. It had to be at least 350 gallons and 10 foot long.

OP
OP
William Buchanan

William Buchanan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can’t visit Wetlands Edge? That’s a shame. [emoji45]

I’m not sure if I’ll volunteer either. I was hoping someone else on here knew more about it. I am interested in seeing if there is something to learn. I have heard they are going to raise jellyfish among other things. I am assuming they have hired a saltwater expert to oversee the saltwater part of the museum.

I’ll try to get more details.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually advertised and I called about being the aquarium keeper. They wanted at least a bachelor's in biology IIRC.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can’t visit Wetlands Edge? That’s a shame. [emoji45]

I’m not sure if I’ll volunteer either. I was hoping someone else on here knew more about it. I am interested in seeing if there is something to learn. I have heard they are going to raise jellyfish among other things. I am assuming they have hired a saltwater expert to oversee the saltwater part of the museum.

I’ll try to get more details.
Just checked out their website and they are hiring 50 full time staff for the museum. The "volunteer" positions on the aquatic side look more like internship opportunities than anything else.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back