Cool dual-COR closed loop setup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the programming I helped set up for the guys over at VCA (makers of random flow generators and other cool products). They're setting up a 134 gallon cube tank with two COR-20 pumps in a closed loop for flow. The Apex coding ramps one COR up while ramping the other COR down for 6 hours 16 minutes for a total cycle of 12 hours 32 minutes. This will cause the cycle to shift slightly from day to day similar to natural tidal cycles.

Take a look at the code in their build thread here:

@Terence you might like this.
1627138159198.png

Last edited:

isufiji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea and really cool concept. Instead of doing this using a closed loop system, could a similar setup and schedule be run from 2 COR20 returns from an overflow and sump with 2 independent return lines? Thinking this would create some additional random flow in the tank.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just discovered this thread.

I have to say- the programing is working exactly like I intended. @SuncrestReef ‐ you knocked it out of the park on this one.

The flow around the tank is also doing exactly what I wanted. It producing this randomized gyre effects that over the course of the day switches directions.

Well do a video once tank is all all setup. Right now we are just waiting on the sump so we can finish the setup

Here's plumbing setup for the dual closed loop
20210723_132709.jpg

20210705_174228.jpg

frasers4th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the programming I helped set up for the guys over at VCA (makers of random flow generators and other cool products). They're setting up a 134 gallon cube tank with two COR-20 pumps in a closed loop for flow. The Apex coding ramps one COR up while ramping the other COR down for 6 hours 16 minutes for a total cycle of 12 hours 32 minutes. This will cause the cycle to shift slightly from day to day similar to natural tidal cycles.

Take a look at the code in their build thread here:

@Terence you might like this.
1627138159198.png
I have a question about how you connected the COR’s to the system. Did you use the Aquabus cable’s to a 1 LINK and then 1 LINK to the BASE UNIT or the EB832?

I’m trying to connect the 2 in my set up.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about how you connected the COR’s to the system. Did you use the Aquabus cable’s to a 1 LINK and then 1 LINK to the BASE UNIT or the EB832?

I’m trying to connect the 2 in my set up.
Since these are Cor20 pumps, I don't believe that can be powered by the 1link. The COR15 pumps however can be powre by 1link.

In this case the pump controllers are both connected to the aquabus the usual aqubuse cables and also plugged into their own power supplies. The power supplies are then plugged into EB4. I found if I plug these and the return pump (also a COR20) into the EB832, it would throw an error and could not provide enough power for all three pumps.

1709568673925.png

I should also note - the power supplies for the CVOR 20s are kind a of crappy, and I have had a few burnout over the last two years. To make it worse, they have a barrel plug that I simply could not find a match. And, the Replacment power supplies are way over priced, in my opinion. So, to solve this issue I simply cut the barrel plug off the old burned out power bricks and wired them to a single, more powerful and higher quality power supply.

I used this power supply to accomplish this and have not had any issue with it since

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back