Abyzz A200 Closed loop with 1/2 Flex RFG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’m setting up a tank with two closed loops running on two Abyzz A200’s, which have a rated flow of 3830 US Gallons, albeit, I wouldn’t intend on running at maximum.

Sorry for mixing metric and imperial sizes, I’m in the UK.

I’m running 50mm pipe out from each pump and into the tank.
From here I plan to split this using a 4-way 50mm, and step down to 3 x 20mm pipe.

At the end be of each 20mm, I’ll have a female threaded adaptor into the 1/2 threaded lokline adaptor, and finally into the 1/2 Flex RFG.

So long story short, each pump will have 3 1/2 Flex RFG’s.

Does this work, or too much flow?

I’ve read that you say “they will handle much more than the optimal flow”, but I’m not exactly sure on any specific limitations.

Many thanks

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like it will rock that tank. Form a supply-flow stand point you should be pretty good.

Each RFG has a Suggest Optimal Flow (SOF) of around 400 GPH - in total, you'll want to be able supply a minimum of 1,600 GPH, just to meet the SOF rating

At the upper end, the 1/2in RFG will top out at around 500-550 GPH - meaning you want really be able to push any more water through them - but added pressure behind them enhances the flow effect.

So, at 500-550 each, that's around 2000 - 2500 GPH. That leaves plenty of overhead to deal with head pressure loss created by the plumbing. At that flow level - they will create strong wavemaker-like flow

Do you have a drawing that shows the overall positioning of the RFG in the tank. A top-down drawing would be super helpful. I would be abel top provide some guidance on how to get the entire body of water moving.

Its important to note, at those flow levels, you will want them at least 0.75 to 1in (20-25mm) below the water line, and for best result, run them mostly parallel to the surface.

RFG-Installation-Guidlines-1.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back