Cool tank without frags!

ups.0fficial

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, I really don’t like corals. I know, I know, I don’t know why they just rub me the wrong way. However, I’m looking to add more color and cool looking things to my tank! What’s the best way to do this without frags? I have 1 bubble tip anemone in there and I’m looking to get a carpet anemone, any suggestions on what I should add? Thank you!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some macro: you can certainly add green and red types, and many of them have interesting shapes and textures. I don't know what happened to all the blue hypnea and ochtodes, but if you find one of them, you can add a different colour to your palette, too. For sheer beauty, dragon's breath halymenia (which has orange and scarlett growth highlights) and agardhiella (which has pink growth tips on a red plant) take some beathing.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say adding more color / interesting things does that include fake stuff? Like the show Tanked they do a lot of fake colorful inserts. If you only want read stuff - whats ur tank size/current stocking? Will help brainstorm

OP
OP
ups.0fficial

ups.0fficial

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say adding more color / interesting things does that include fake stuff? Like the show Tanked they do a lot of fake colorful inserts. If you only want read stuff - whats ur tank size/current stocking? Will help brainstorm
I don’t prefer fake stuff and I’d much rather have real! I have a 15g with a Midas blenny, naked clownfish and midnight clownfish, 2 nas snails, 3 pep shrimp, and a hermit crab :D

OP
OP
ups.0fficial

ups.0fficial

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some macro: you can certainly add green and red types, and many of them have interesting shapes and textures. I don't know what happened to all the blue hypnea and ochtodes, but if you find one of them, you can add a different colour to your palette, too. For sheer beauty, dragon's breath halymenia (which has orange and scarlett growth highlights) and agardhiella (which has pink growth tips on a red plant) take some beathing.
Ooo! I’ll definitely look into those and buy some if I see them around! Thank you!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try live-plants.com for macros.

I wouldn't get a carpet anemone. They get big. That bubble tip will already take up near half the tank on its own once it gets big, never mind any potential offspring once it splits.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just grow the heck out of some GHA and call it a Victory

dumb and dumber laughing GIF

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I definitely agree with dragon's breath. I have some in my DT with corals and it's one of my favorite things in there.

Here are a couple sources for macro (I have not personally purchased from any of these).

Algae Barn
live-plants
Reef Cleaners

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are nice photosynthetic sponges that are hardy and fast growing in nice blue and purple.

Black barrel sponges are very cool but I haven't seen them around much as in the past. We used to have a local that supplied them at swaps on a regular basis.

I know it's a coral but fat head dendros are easy to keep and you can train them to open during the day. You have to feed them 3-4 times a week but it's very easy to do and they add a intense splash of orange and yellow. No special food is required.

You could try some clams for some color as well.

OP
OP
ups.0fficial

ups.0fficial

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try live-plants.com for macros.

I wouldn't get a carpet anemone. They get big. That bubble tip will already take up near half the tank on its own once it gets big, never mind any potential offspring once it splits.
Thank you! I’ll definitely not get the carpet anemone lol.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this from a reddit post. Never saw them before and might get some myself. I think someone mentioned this already this is the dragon flame red macro algae
cf1877c.png

OP
OP
ups.0fficial

ups.0fficial

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this from a reddit post. Never saw them before and might get some myself. I think someone mentioned this already this is the dragon flame red macro algae
cf1877c.png
Woah! That’s beautiful! I’ll definitely be on the lookout for some

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back