Cool ways to grow out chalice / encrusting corals

  • Thread starter Thread starter apex003
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

apex003

Aquaculturist in training
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
334
Reaction score
138
Location
Southlake, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone growing out their chalices or other encrusting corals in an interesting way? I see lots just growing them out as flat discs or on a piece of rock. Anything more interesting / creative? Pics required... :)
 
I've always thought This was awesome

image.jpeg
 
I like how WWC does it. They let them encrust and grow and spread out on their bare bottom DT. Looks so cool
 
I've always thought This was awesome

image.jpeg

That is pretty cool! I just got a couple rainbow chalice and jack-0-lantern lepto. Trying to decide what to do with them. I feel like the chalice pancake is so boring. Makes fragging easier I guess...
 
grow it on a nice shape acropora skeleton(thick branches) or a montipora cap skeleton.

4013910.jpg

imagine this is rainbow chaice.
 
I have epoxied a few small rocks together so they make a weird rock and have super glue a frag onto them. They then grow to the shape of the rock. I find the flat disk boring.
 
Let's bring this back to life! I like this! Doing one of mine on a huge monti skel. Got one other I don't have a plan for.
This is a cool thread
 
old thread but ok. I'm gluing cyphastrea frags to the back glass and letting them encrust that. I'd like to do it with a rainbow monti too.In my experience so far, a lot of chalices won't encrust like you're thinking.
 
old thread but ok. I'm gluing cyphastrea frags to the back glass and letting them encrust that. I'd like to do it with a rainbow monti too.In my experience so far, a lot of chalices won't encrust like you're thinking.
While there are branching, platting, and encrusting, I have both encrusting and platting. Haven't let encrusting grow fully yet so I have no idea how it will look. Honestly I want to try what you are doing with a monti, I have a GSP I could cut and glue on the back too. I know this is super old but I like the idea and want to explore this more. Why make a new thread? No reason to fix something if it isn't broken
 
While there are branching, platting, and encrusting, I have both encrusting and platting. Haven't let encrusting grow fully yet so I have no idea how it will look. Honestly I want to try what you are doing with a monti, I have a GSP I could cut and glue on the back too. I know this is super old but I like the idea and want to explore this more. Why make a new thread? No reason to fix something if it isn't broken

I have GSP on the back wall too and it looks really nice.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new